1987 New Yorker - engine quits at random

Hello all. Hate to make my first post a plea for help, but here goes.

I have an '87 New Yorker with the 2.2L Turbo engine. In the last few days she's started stalling on me, and I want to try and narrow the problem down before having to take it to a shop.

Five times in as many days, the car will up and die on me; no unusual noises or vibrations, just shuts off. It's happened twice pulling out of parking spaces, twice stopped at a light/sign, and once while I was coasting under cruise control on the freeway. The only common factor is that each time, there was little or no pressure on the gas. I've had it happen anywhere from thirty seconds after starting the engine (parking lots) to fifteen minutes (freeway).

If I try to start it again too soon after it dies, the engine cranks but doesn't catch - given a couple of minutes however, it starts right back up. When she's running, all seems normal; even after restarting from a stall. Nothing cuts out after the stall, and all my gauges seem nominal; save for the battery gauge which drops a couple notches. Getting the engine controller error codes returns nothing useful, just a 55 - end of file code.

The only maintainence I've had recently was an oil change, and a dose of fuel-injector cleaner in my last fillup. I've done some research thus far and have a couple ideas, but nothing concrete. Any thoughts?

Reply to
DKimbel

Sounds like the pickup to me. check to see if it is cracked. they usually go and sisplay those symptoms. Take off the Distributor cap and rotor. It plugs in and is placed below the rotor.

Reply to
hartless

The first thing to do is have the throttle body cleaned out, this may be causing your problem since it only happens when the gas pedal is not applied. The other thing could be a slow to respond AIS motor not being able to maintain the proper idle position.

Thats what this site is for. making plea's for help

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Take a good look at the vacuum lines, on a car that old they are likley to be split/rotted, plastic connectors broken

Reply to
sqdancerLynn