1996 Plymouth Grand Caravan - engine rocks back and forth. Why?

I just rebuilt the engine 1996 Plymouth Grand Caravan. I replaced the front engine/transaxle mount insert because the old one was broken. I was very careful to press the new insert in the same way the old one was. The rear mount appeared to be just fine so I just put it back the same way it came out. But now, when I shift from reverse to forward, the engine rocks back and forth several inches, and will clunk if I do it quickly enough. There is no adjustment for the motor mounts. Anyone have experience with these, and can comment on what happened, and why the engine now does this? It would be nice if there was actually some adjustment for these. Is it possible the left and/or right mount is off, causing the engine to sit an inch or two too high?