1998 breeze 2.4 won't start

hi all,hoping someone can help i have a 1998 breeze with the 2.4 dohc

91000 miles went out to start it and it just keeps turning over but won't start if i give it gas while tryingto start it,it will backfire, the car sat for about a month i got it to run once but when i shut it off it would not restart the oil smell like it has some gas in it and when it did start there was some white smoke coming out the exhaust please give some advice thank you
Reply to
Jr

I would suggest checking the crankshaft and camshaft senors. They can cause the timing to be off if they are not working correctly. The recommended timing belt change for this engine is 101,000 miles, so it should be okay unless it slipped a tooth.

It probably also wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs while you are at it.

2.4 litre engines from this period are prone to headgasket failures, but I wouldn't think it would cause problems like this.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Hi thank you for your response we got the car running and it had white smoke pouring out the exhaust so I pulled the head off and it was cracked so I installed a new one. Thanks again

Reply to
Jr