2000 Concorde XLi - No Air

My mechanic can't find the leak. Lost 1.5 lbs last Fall just before Winter. First time use this Summer forced a recheck and recharge; lost 1.5 lbs. That was three weeks ago. Now it's blowing warm air again.

Q1) Does the entire control panel have to be removed to get to the evaporator on this model? Q2) I assume at 68000, there's no recourse... unless, perhaps, there's some recall or there's been an exceptionally high failure rate. Either of these? Q3) What do the manual call for as a total cost for an evaporator replacement and recharge? Q4) Will dealerships "deal" on this repair at this time of year or do they pretty much go by the book? In other words... what's a fair price from a dealership claiming to give me "a deal"?

Reply to
John Gregory

More then likely the evap is bad

A1) Yes, including the entire dash.

A) Chrysler Has extended the warranty to 70k on the LH for some years, I forget what years they did it. contact your dealer

A) About a 6 hour job, roughly $400. for parts

A) Deal or no deal? not a TV show.....whatever the book says would be a good deal

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

More then likely the evap is bad

A1) Yes, including the entire dash.

A) Chrysler Has extended the warranty to 70k on the LH for some years, I forget what years they did it. contact your dealer

A) About a 6 hour job, roughly $400. for parts

A) Deal or no deal? not a TV show.....whatever the book says would be a good deal

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Unfortunately... I'm in Akron, Ohio. Medina actually. Mind sharing the manufacturer of that part? I can look it up for a source close by. A $340 premium on something known to fail so often the warranty was extended causes me to look for another supplier.

Reply to
John Gregory

A $400 dollar part plus 6 hours labor at the Chrysler rate equals what?

Reply to
John Gregory

$1000.00 give or take depending on sales tax, price of R134, PAG oil, shop supplies, waste disposal fees and any other wallet flushes you might encounter.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

There appear to be two types of LH evaporators listed in aftermarket - plate fin and serpentine - which do you prefer and why?

Reference:

Bill Putney

John Gregory

And that would be cause for me to ask the dealership if I really look like I was born yesterday. That's $100/ hour labor rate.

Reply to
John Gregory

Give or take...

Even at $85 you'd have; Labor $510 Parts $400 R134 $15-20 PAG oil $15-20 Sub total $940 Tax@5.6% $52.64 (using my sales tax rate) Total $992.64

Knock the labor rate down to $65 an hour and you're still spending $870.00

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What's your dealership charge a customer per hour?

Reply to
John Gregory

$89

Reply to
maxpower

Well in this case, I'm in the same boat as you - I have to replace the evaporator in my '99 Concorde, and I don't want to use the OEM evap. if it's designed to fail in 4 to 6 years like they apparently are. That's why I was asking Philthy the question since he seems to have an opinion (based on experience?) on the alternative (aftermarket) evaporators.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
John Gregory

Why? because it isn't warrantied for life? yep, they did it once, know for every vehicle you own , they have to warranty forever! f*ck off you whiner!

Reply to
hartless

The problem is when leaves and debris gets past the cowl screen it falls down next to the bottom of the evap, it corrodes and causes the failures. When the evaporator gets replaced with a MOPAR part it comes with a special cowl screen which is supposed to stop foreign material from getting into the HVAC box. Was that screen installed at the time the new evap was replaced?