2001 Caravan Door Lock Switch Inoperative

About a month ago, our drivers side door lock switch stopped working on our

2001 Caravan Sport. The key fob works ok, as well as the passenger side door lock switch. I tried all the usual tricks, removed the IOD and BCM fuses for a short time, but didn't help. I removed the old switch and tested it, and it appeared to be somewhat off the resistor values listed in my Haynes manual, so I replaced it with a new one from my dealer for $15, which had the same values. No luck there. The voltages on the connector appear normal too. The little green LED does light up. I suspect it might be the BCM, an expensive proposition without any guarantees. I can't even find it. Any ideas on what to do next? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply to
Rick

The BCM is located under dash on the left side above and forward of the E-brake mechanism. There are separate right and left circuits at the BCM. You need to see 5.0 volts at the switch when unplugged, it is a MUX (multiplex) circuit so simply plugging it in will result in some voltage drop; in this way, the BCM can detect an open circuit. The failure of the BCM, resulting in less than 5.0 volts, is common, resulting in Garbage In, Garbage Out, and the locks will not operate from that switch circuit.

The easiest way to diagnose this is with the appropriate scan tool, whereby you can read the voltages the BCM is receiving and compare them to specs, and also command actuation. There may also be trouble codes that inhibit operation until they are cleared.

Tom Showers Former Chrysler tech

Reply to
THOMAS SHOWERS

The BCM is located under dash on the left side above and forward of the E-brake mechanism. There are separate right and left circuits at the BCM. You need to see 5.0 volts at the switch when unplugged, it is a MUX (multiplex) circuit so simply plugging it in will result in some voltage drop; in this way, the BCM can detect an open circuit. The failure of the BCM, resulting in less than 5.0 volts, is common, resulting in Garbage In, Garbage Out, and the locks will not operate from that switch circuit.

The easiest way to diagnose this is with the appropriate scan tool, whereby you can read the voltages the BCM is receiving and compare them to specs, and also command actuation. There may also be trouble codes that inhibit operation until they are cleared.

Tom Showers Former Chrysler tech

Do I need to go to a dealer to scan the BCM? Rick

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
man of machines

Thanks, will do. Probly means a trip to the dealer if I find a broken wire.

Reply to
Rick