91 Sundance, 2.2 or 2.5

Well I've decided I need to replace the head gasket on my 91 Sundance. I am pretty sure its a 2.2, not a 2.5. Oh it is a Sundance America by the way, with a 5 spd. There was no information, labels, diagrams or such i could see under the hood or on the radiator support. So what i am wondering is there a visual inspection or engine code number somewhere under the under the hood so i can verify which engine it is. Like i said, i am almost certain it is a

2.2, all the info I've ever looked up on this make and model states 2.2. But with my luck, i'd get all the 2.2 gaskets and stuff and it would be a 2.5. And my other question is, would it make a difference, i know alot of the old 318-360 stuff like that was interchangable, or worked on either.
Reply to
b.clausen

There should be an emissions label under the hood of the car. It usually has a map of the vacuum / egr / pcv lines on it. It also has the spark plug type and will state the engine size. However looking at partsamerica.com. It states that the sundance america has the 2.2. Which does not matter anyway as the non-turbo 2.2 and 2.5 use the same head gasket set.

Reply to
David

The 8th digit of the vin will tell you, there used to be a way by looking at the A/C mount bracket that I could tell, but I forgot what it was, and if im not mistaken the 2.2 and 2.5 non turbo are the same gaskets, I think it was just longer rods that made the difference. Contact your local Dealer and have them check for you.

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

If the 8th digit in VIN is a D, it's a 2.2. If the 8th digit is a K, then it's a 2.5

Bill

Reply to
Bill