96 neon brakes clicking

I have a 96 Plymouth Neon. When applying the brakes, I hear a clicking sound and feel it through the brake pedal. The frequency of the clicking decreases as the car slows.

I took it into a chain garage that is open on the weekends to make sure it was safe. They said it's safe to drive, and that Chrysler products are notorious for having warped spindles which caused the calipers to click.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here? I'm no mechanic, but I've never heard of a "spindle" in relationship to the brake system. I'll probably end up taking it to my regular mechanic, but I just wanted to check here first.

Thanks, Joseph

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien

philthy

Actually, it did turn out to be the spindles. My regular mechanic said they were warped or worn. Rather than replacing them for $900, he filled out the gaps by welding for $90.

philthy wrote:

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien