96 Mustang brakes

About a month ago I replaced the front pads on my wife's car. Now she is complaining about them squealing. I bought what I thought was a good quality pad and used the supplied shim that inserts behind the outside pad.

How do i quieten her down?

Reply to
Granville

outside pad.

With duct tape......

The car might be a little harder to do. You didn't say what brand you used, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you used a premium, higher quality pad like Wagner or Raybestos. (The el-cheapo lifetime-warranty pads from a national chain store are crap) You also want to make sure that all anti-rattle clips or springs are up to spec and in place. Your '96 Mustang may not have any of this, but I'm speaking of all applications in general. If none of this helps, you will need to have your rotors turned or replaced to get rid of the squeal. And once again, don't put on cheap Chinese made rotors. They are crappier than the cheap brake pads. One last comment. This is not a plug for Ford or Motorcraft brake pads, but if you have brakes done at a dealership, they will simply put in new pads without turning the rotors and chances are they will not squeal. I'm only saying this because there is a difference between dealership parts and national chain store parts. My $.02 worth.

Reply to
Kruse

lmfao they need more braking in lmfao a tard does the brakes i feel confident face it brakes have to and are more powerful than the engine look at the energy they have to stop

imo if you dont understand why they vibrate DONT WORK ON BRAKES

you foctard

 hurricane  ast
Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

Disc brake squeal is caused by the pads vibrating in the calipers, particularly the outboard pads. Ceramic brakes squeal, but at a much higher frequency so we don't hear it. I wonder of the dog can? Anyway, the fix is very simple and cheap. Go to the parts store and get a package of Disk Brake Quiet, by Permatex. It's like glue for the calipers. Take the pads off the calipers, and clean all the mounting surfaces really well. Use a wire brush and some brake parts cleaner. Spread a little of the blue gunk on the mounting pads - you don't need much. Then assemble, apply the brakes once or twice in the garage to seat the pads, and let sit overnight. Voila! No more squealing!

Reply to
.boB

.boB wrote: Spread a little of the blue

This stuff usually works. For a week or two. Sometimes it's a permanent fix. Quite often it's not. Years ago when the big switch from asbestos brake material to non-asbestos brake material was taking place, just about all the brake manufacturers included a little tube of this with a set of pads. And the stuff usually worked, at least temporarily. When you buy a set of brake pads now you don't see it as often. I guess there are reasons, including lowering their costs to sell brake pads, amoung others.

Reply to
Kruse

Would also recommend that he use a disc brake caliper lube (synthetic) and apply caliper lube to pins, slides, bushings, sleeves.

Reply to
Richard