'96 Neon Trunk Lock/Mystery Part

I've got a 1996 Dodge Neon. The trunk lock is getting harder and harder to open. The key slides into the lock just fine but then it will not turn either way until I get it just right. It's getting worse and worse each day. At first I thought that it might be that I have a worn key but the spare key (hardly ever used) does the same thing. Any suggestions?

My second question is about a black cylendar right behind the bumper on the front right side of the vehicle. It has two hoses going into the top of it. What is this thing?

Reply to
jfbialek

I would replace the key lock cylinder,your local dealer should be able to get one for you and rekey it to work with your key.

evaporative system purge cannister.

Reply to
TNKEV

Did you try to spray penetrating oil into it?

Reply to
maxpower

I had same problem with 96 neon . I sprayed light oil in the lock and blew it out with compressed air . I believe the lock wasn't working because it collects dirt over time . It works for me now!

Delbe Comeau