Americans Don't Love Trucks Anymore

I'm impressed. I honestly couldn't stand being in that car for more than half an hour. It is too cramped and noisy. And just out of curiosity - did you pack at least one ice chest and/or a canoe?

As for 30mpg, I can see that at 60mph. Not sure anyone around here who drives that slow, but I can see it.

FWIW, I get about 22mpg in my "gas guzzler" Avalanche when keeping the speed down to around 70mph on long trips. This takes into account the requisite multi-thousand foot mountains one must cross to get out of Los Angeles to go pretty much anywhere on the 101, I-5, 14, or I-15.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Because then you're not stuck in a compact like the 300m?

As for me, I use my truck to haul stuff for the kids and whatnot pretty much every day.

Occasionally I run over a honda civic, but that's okay, it doesn't really scratch the paint much.

Reply to
PerfectReign

As matter of fact we did have a carry along Coleman cooler with drinks and water, the kind you carry to the beach.

Reply to
Count Floyd

America's love affair with light-truck-based chassis vehicles depends upon where you live. In the expanding place called "Home Depot Land", they come in very handy for more bulky project items, including hauling the mulch, fertilizer, pavestones, cinder blocks, 4x8 sheets of plywood, and other things associated with new or remodeling construction activities which you don't pay others to do.

By the same token, an LH car (as the 300M) that has a fold-down rear seat (rather than the "ski slot" hole behind the center armrest in the rear seat) can do a good job of hauling 6' or 8' lumber (with appropriate care to keep the boards from sliding around and damaging the interior leather). Been there, done that!

I've clocked every 2nd gen LH car I've driven (with the 3.5L V-6) at

30-31mpg at 60mph (flat level road, with the cruise doing the throttle--on the onboard trip computer). On the 300M, that will drop to 27mpg at 90mph (only 700rpm greater engine speed) . . . from my own observations of doing that Cars were from the Thrifty or Dollar rental fleets.

There are LOTS of 30mpg cars on the used car lots of America (highway mpg). The Chrysler LH cars are the "incognito" economy cars, as are the last-gen Buick LeSabres with the 3800 V-6. No need to give up luxury and size for a few mpg or less than 6 cylinders.

Many light-duty trucks can get good fuel economy on the road . . . but usually ONLY if the road is flat and level. Cylinder deactivation only happens in those conditions and only accounts for about 8% fuel economy gain in those conditions. Many of the earlier Dodge Cummins diesels would usually break 20mpg on trips (not pulling anything).

As fuel economy has generally improved, the term "gas guzzler" has become a moveable point of reference. 30mpg compared to 40mpg could be termed "gas guzzler", just as 18mpg compared to 25mpg would be similar. It USED to mean something like 12mpg (or less) when other similar cars would get 20mpg, but not anymore.

And then were the 454 and 460 V-8 one-ton duallys that got 6mpg on a good day, running down the road with a trailer on the back.

I believe that Chrysler went a little backward with their squared/boxy styling as it cost them several "on the road" mpgs on the 300s. Plus the additional WEIGHT of the cars made the 3.5L V-6s work harder. The new 300s look great, but that fuel economy penalty is something that has not endeared them to many buyers. But the 5.7L HEMI V-8 in those cars has the same EPA Highway mpg as a Mustang V-6, so that puts a different reference point on things.

One thing lost with the LH to LX transition was the "light on its feet" handling feel of the LH cars. By comparison, the LX cars feel bulky and heavy, to me (even with the later versions of the LX cars getting a firmer rear suspension calibration!) . . . more like a GM car than a Chrysler.

There are many people now driving light truck chassis vehicles that don't really need them -- maybe it's the rwd platform? V-8 power? "Testosterone" associations? Better visibility due to the higher ride height? But there are also many who do need a truck-based vehicle to carry their "stuff" around, whether it's people stuff or people AND their stuff or home improvement items.

Problem with modern pickup trucks is that they are too high off of the ground (2wd versions) for anybody less than 6' tall to be able to use comfortably. That additional ride height has to have some penalty in fuel economy, too, I suspect.

Just some thoughts and observations . . .

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

True. I get that with my '95 3.3L Concorde at 60 mph hwy, although I usually drive at 70 mph.

Reply to
who

IMO they are ugly and yes they are very heavy.

I rented a Magnum V6 for two weeks, hated it, but the big surprise when I drove my LH again was it's great visibility, great low end torque and great handling/cornering. By comparison my LH was so much better for me. This is the first time I've felt this after driving a much newer car. By comparison the Ford Fusion V6 felt slight better than my LH, but it burned just as much gas.

Ego and carrying too much junk.

I had a look at the Journey and was surprised it was a bit too high off the ground for me to easily enter/leave. I'm 6'. The Caliper & Compass are the perfect height for me.

Then I noticed the Journey's spare was stuck under the rear. Yes the Journey is the small van that Chrysler earlier dropped. A cross over it is NOT!

Reply to
Some O

I believe more thought ought to be put into this.

Vehicle Category Value Comment

Assumption: Gas cost/gallon $4.10

PRIUS MSRP "$28,000.00" MPG 50 " 46 MPG Claimed, Actual test results as high as 50 MPG" Gas Cost/100K Miles "$8,200.00" Battery Repl Cost "$4,000.00" Est Maint "$1,500.00" " Warranty Powertrain 60,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$30,500.00" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

Hyundi Elantra MSRP "$16,900.00" MPG 33 Gas Cost/100K Miles "$12,424.24" Battery Repl Cost 0 No battery Warranty $0.00 " Warranty Powertrain 100,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$22,564.24" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

F-150 MSRP "$20,000.00" MPG 20 Gas Cost/100K Miles "$20,500.00" Battery Repl Cost 0 Maintenance "$1,500.00" " Warranty Powertrain 60,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$34,000.00" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

Corvette MSRP "$47,045.00" MPG 30 Gas Cost/100K Miles "$13,666.67" Battery Repl Cost 0 Maintenance $0.00 " Warranty Powertrain 100,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$41,893.67" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

Reply to
Blue C5

I believe more thought ought to be put into this.

Vehicle Category Value Comment

Assumption: Gas cost/gallon $4.10

PRIUS MSRP "$28,000.00" MPG 50 " 46 MPG Claimed, Actual test results as high as 50 MPG" Gas Cost/100K Miles "$8,200.00" Battery Repl Cost "$4,000.00" Est Maint "$1,500.00" " Warranty Powertrain 60,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$30,500.00" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

Hyundi Elantra MSRP "$16,900.00" MPG 33 Gas Cost/100K Miles "$12,424.24" Battery Repl Cost 0 No battery Warranty $0.00 " Warranty Powertrain 100,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$22,564.24" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

F-150 MSRP "$20,000.00" MPG 20 Gas Cost/100K Miles "$20,500.00" Battery Repl Cost 0 Maintenance "$1,500.00" " Warranty Powertrain 60,000" Total Cost of Ownership "$34,000.00" Minus Residual Value After 5 Years (40%)

Wow, no battery! Do they have a crank up front? Must be a bitch to crank a big V8:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That's part of the problem; municipalities charge extra for things that should be separated out and recycled/composted. In my area, recycling is free at least although yard waste is an extra cost. I see most of my neighbors setting out separate recycling bins on trash day, so if you remove the incentive to sneak it in with the trash, it doesn't get trashed.

My own yard waste is so significant that I don't bother to pay the 75 cents a bag to leave it at the curb; I just save it up until I have a truckload and run it to the dump for $10 a load or so. Less of a PITA than to buy the special bags, stickers, etc. and then trim everything so it fits in the bags... I have my own composter so kitchen waste gets dealt with appropriately although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a lot of it is still getting mixed in with the regular trash - simply because there is no convenient mechanism for apartment dwellers or people who haven't bothered to get their own composters etc.

Of course I still end up making semi-regular trash runs to the dump as well, because the previous owners of my house thought that burying construction waste around the garage was a good idea, and I keep uncovering it as I attempt to grade and neaten my yard...

nate

Reply to
N8N

We have a large landfill where I live that reached capacity and is now closed.

I mulch my grass, so that is a non-issue. Tree limbs get hauled to the landfill where they get chopped up into mulch for use around the city and some of it gets put into large compost piles where it turns into dirt after not too long. It does not cost extra to drop off tree limbs, and the mulch and dirt is free if you want some. All you have to do is show a current city utility bill and you are let into the landfill.

Reply to
Mark Jones