anybody have a Neon survive a broken timing belt?

This is ... bizarre. My daughter's '95 Neon (SOHC engine) broke its timing belt just before Thanksgiving. Finally got it to a state I could do a compression test today... and it looked good! 180-200 PSI in all four cylinders. So I'm curious: has anybody else ever seen this happen (I should mention that yes, it is an interference engine)?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Are you saying you fixed the timing belt without taking the head off? The car has a timing belt on it now, right?

Reply to
Joe

What would be bizarre about a timing belt breaking on a car that is 10 years old? And I assume you have it fixed and running?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I believe that the SOHC is *non-interference,* meaning that the valves do not crash into the piston tops when the timing belt fails. I don't think this is the case for the DOHC engine, in either the 2.0 or 2.4 flavors.

This info is most likely available on allpar.com.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson