Buying a car off the web

I'm thinking about using a website like vehix.com, cars.com or Costco to buy my next car. Any recommendations for which website is best? Which to avoid, and if it's a good idea at all.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I dunno, would you buy a house just from a photo? Your car is the second most expensive thing for most folks; personally I wouldn't buy one without a thorough inspection unless it was *really* cheap & I was expecting to do

*alot* of work to it. An exception might be a ground-up restoration backed up by *alot* of photos. Having said that, however, there are a few reputable folks that you *might* be able to find to buy from...(but I would check them out too...) BTW I have an '89 VW Cabriolet (mild custom) that's *real* nice FS right now. Pics at
. I'm aboveAtlanta - come check it out!~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

I'm not talking about used cars, I'm talking about a new car. Obviously I've already test driven the cars that I'm interested in but when I get around to buying I'd like to avoid having to deal with car salesmen. The salesmen in Chrysler dealerships are completely unreconstructed, if anything they seem to have gotten even more obnoxious because they are desparate now because nobody is coming into Chrysler dealers anymore. The salesman in Acura dealers, which is the other car I'm considering, aren't high pressure because they don't have to be. But they also don't have any incentive to deal. That's why I'm asking about alternative means of buying a car. A friend of a friend used Costco and supposedly was pretty happy, but I'm getting that report second hand. There are also several websites where you can order a car. I want to hear about peoples experiences with these alternative means of buying a car.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

No experience with buying new (well except for the Volare Roadrunner I ordered in '76 but never got - long story), but I'm thinking you can find out what the dearler pays (it's online somewhere), & go haggle with your local dealers. You'll get the best price, & have the local dealer to service the car that you bought from *them* (surely that will help in getting service). That's my thinking on the matter... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

That's what I've always done in the past but I don't think that works with Acura dealers, and the Chrysler 300C is in short supply so it will probably won't work with that car either. If I wanted a 300M, which I don't, I could go in and offer them a few bucks over the dealers invoice and they would take it. But it would still be an unpleasant process. The salesman would give me the bullshit line about having to check with his manager, I'd have to get up and threaten to leave, they'd try to sell me rust proofing, I'd have to tell them NFW. The last time I bought a car, in

94, I had to fight with them for an hour and a half. I had the advantage that time because the Concorde and the Intrepid were same car and the Chrysler dealer is next door to the Dodge dealer. This time around there is no Dodge equivalent of the 300. I'd much rather be able to buy it the same way I buy everything else which is over the web.
Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

so, whats the story?

Reply to