Check Engine light on 95 dodge neon

I purchased a 95 dodge neon 5speed manual and it has been running smoothly. however, recently the check engine light came up on it and the only the manual says is to take the shop.

Does anyone have any idea what the light is indicating.

I would appreciate any suggestion or advice on the matter.

thanks

Reply to
goldace

I have a '96 neon and the same thing happend to me. It was the O2 sensor.

Reply to
Mike

FAQ for rec.autos.makers.Chrysler - Part III

******************************************************** COMPUTER CODES

THESE ONLY WORK IF YOU HAVE FUEL INJECTION. Otherwise, see the web site or the "troubleshooting electronic feedback carburetors" section.

Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. (On is *not* start!)

The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH

It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses!

55 is end of codes, 33 is normal if you don't have air conditioning.

When the computer indicates major failure, it will activate Limp In mode, which guesses about data to compensate for sensor failure.

The FAQ goes on to tell you what each code means. Seems like a good place to start.

Andy Mai

Reply to
Andy Mai

I have a 95 Dodge Intrepid when the Check Engine light came on. We did on, off, on, off and on routine and the check engine light flashed 3 times and then paused. It then flashed 13 times. We checked this a 3 or

4 times and it always came up with 13 flashes as the second time. So I have know idea what the code is for the problem. Or am I mis-reading the flashes. Any ideas.

Alan

Reply to
Amos

If you get the same code repeatly and it doesn't relate to any problem you have don't worry. My '95 Concord occasionally puts out code 33, which is related to the air conditioner that is seldom on and is OK. Neither I or the dealer can locate the circuit problem, so I have to ignore it. It's a bit of a concern though, because it may mask a real problem until I turn the engine off and on.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Thirteen is the international code for "the devil is in your car" ;-) Is the engine light still on...in other words did it never go off? You should unhook and rehook the battery and see if the check engine light goes back on. If it is just a "glitch" it may stay off after that.

Reply to
jtees4