Chinese rotors are junk

If they want to please wall street, if they want their bonus to be as big as possible, they are forced to. Production generally moves overseas because it isn't profitable *ENOUGH* in the USA to please the artifical growth requirements. Not that it isn't profitable and would continue to be profitable.

Also, many of the costs of having production overseas are so burried they don't show up on the raw conversion cost figures that manufacturers base their decision on. Scrap, engineering time, field returns, lost sales for a variety of manufacturing reasons, etc all add up. And it has been my theory that in the end it's no better than a draw cost wise after all is said and done.

Production moves to china, price stays as if it were made in the first world. The difference goes to improve the margin number that in turn helps the stock. I've seen US made products side by side with made in china competitors where the US made item cost less and was made better.

Reply to
Brent P

How very true. Reagan era economics were the beginning of the end of this country. Bush II will be the finishing coup de grace.

I worked for a manufacturing company that went public during the early

80's, only to be bought back out by the original family. It placed a tremendous burden of debt on the company and as it stands now, it's mostly owned by Prudential. And if the BSA ever gets in there you can kiss that company goodbye. Serves em' right in reality - the current owner/president is a horses ass who doles a huge salary to himself while promising employees the moon and never delivering.

One disturbing trend that a friend and I are noticing in the I.T. field is that they're looking for kids straight out of college with a new B.S. or even just an MCSE. Why? Cheap labor. That's the driving force behind what's going on in this country, cheap labor.

Reply to
COTTP

That's only half the down fall. The democrats have provided the other half. Just like launching a nuke, more than one key is required.

Ever come across the GE bottom 10% method? Cheap labor is it's goal, but it rips the most experienced people out of the company destroying the quality of the product.

Reply to
Brent P

Yep - I know a few refugees from GE's locomotive and medical imaging divisions. It's crazy.

Reply to
COTTP

Worse than that. They want young minds that can be lied to and molded into their way of thinking. The same reason they want young people in car sales - because they feed them motivational crap instead of real business basics.

Oh - and the lower wages.

The problem is - when it hits the fan, and it eventually will - at best you end up having to outsource to experts to do the repairs. At worst, the company implodes.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

But you have to ask why did those companies bought into the corporate system to begin with? I saw this a lot in the 90's in the software industry, since the stock market was going great guns, everyone wanted to IPO their companies because they knew their companies had no long term plan for survival so they wanted to get out while they could still soak a buttload of stupid investors. This was also happening to a lot of other industries too.

It wasn't the corporate structure that was the problem, the problem was that the companies that were adopting the corporate structure did not have diversified markets nor did they have long term survival plans. Worse than that with the information companies, so many of them had the entire company structured around a small group of key people - the entire company's value was tied up into the heads of 5 people there. None of these companies should have been public companies in the first place.

There are some industries and some types of companies that simply run better as partnerships, or sole proprietorships, or some such. Nobody is out there arguing that all companies should become public and do IPO's.

effectively

I'd rather have 200 car buyers that refused to buy anything that wasn't significantly made in the US.

That's a losers argument. It is made by people that in High School get a bug up their butt that the only kind of job they are going to deign to work is some specific narrow industry, so they focus their entire school time on training and preparing for this perfect job, then when they graduate they find there's too many people with the same degree. I hear this from wannabe school teachers all the time. They scream and cry because the starting wages for something like an Art teacher is in the toilet, all the while totally ignoring that there's a ton of unemployed Art teachers out there and more being churned out by the schools every day. Frankly if teachers ever wanted to get paid better they would engineer a shutdown of

3/4 of the teacher training programs in the country, there's far too many of them that are being graduated every year.

People need to learn that when your getting a college degree, you get it in what SOCIETY needs you to get it in. You DON'T get your degree in what YOU want to get it in. If your lifelong dream is to teach Art then do it on your own time, in the meantime get your damn CPA's license.

Don't ever compare Israel to the US. People live in Israel for 1 reason only - because they have been brainwashed by the Israeli government into believing that Israel is the only One True Country that Jewish people should be living in. The PHD's that are sweeping streets in Israel wouldn't move out of there for any money because they all believe that they are doing God's work just by living there. Why do you think that the Israeli government has been so strong in pushing settlements into the West Bank? It's because all Israel is about is Jewish Homeland, rah, rah, rah. Your dealing with a population there which is just as wacked out as the Arabs that are living next door and just as lustily wanting to slit their neighbor's throats.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Sure. You expect this with startup companies that are all glitz and no substance. It's been going on for over a centruy, in fact.

But seeing companies that have a good product and long-term viability do this is just sad. It's the road to ruin for everyone but the few that started the company.

Long-term in the U.S. is considered 3-5 years by the morons who teach the stuff in our colleges. Long-term in Germany is seen as 20 years. And you wonder why they still compete so well despite being so much smaller than the U.S. Japan also takes this view by and large.

I pay extra of stuff made in first-world countries.(ie - mostly Europe and Japan these days - sigh.) Electronics made in Japan are quite decent, actually, but you have to check - not all Sonys are made there anymore.

No it is not - it's the sad reality. Why do you think we have as high as 50% dropout rates in High School? Because the young adults feel that there is no way that they can make the American Dream(tm) come true for them without either getting into The Military or looking for a fast buck.

But last I checked, there are not very many jack-of-all-trades degrees. They are all by definition like this - very defined and narrow. Unless you want to take something like Philosophy or English, which is only going to get you the ability to get your resume seen.

The sad fact is that Computers and Engineering is a dead career field in this country as the top jobs are all going to people with masters or PHds. The rest are jobbed out overseas, and the displaced people all suck up the middle-range jobs(which filters down...) We did this to ourselves.

It's not art teachers, but technology as well. We're gutting our own educated workforce in exchange for quick profits.

Based upon the last few years, that means two main career fields: Counselling/Social workers and Accounting or an MBA. The rest are dying fields that are overpopulated with 40-60 year old "downsized" people with more experience and qualifications than you could possibly hope to have as a new graduate.

Oh - I forgot Culinary School. I hear food service is considered a decent career these days. Yay.

Okay - how about another example. Russia. Tons of educated people and not enough real jobs anymore. Or Mexico. Either you are upper-class in Mexico or you are effectively a peasant.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

You're being very obtuse. Does your statement mean you think Chinese rotors are junk, or not?

Reply to
Mark Allread

Oh - I already said they are junk. Terrible in fact.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, electrical engineering are all very broad fields.

Not to mention national security. However engineering enrollment has been sliding downward for many years so there really isn't a glut. It's much too difficult compared to a degree in education for that that to happen. What is happening is that places like india have built excellent engineering schools that are running at capacity. Because the wage in india is so much lower, corporations are attracted to it.

Reply to
Brent P

Although, oddly enough, not many broads in them.

Reply to
Mark Allread

That's true! cheap labor is the driving force for most companies. The question is how to achieve cheap labor? Remember Indian cheap I.T workers invited by Bush regime??? And Chinese and mexican wage. Those the goal, and there is no other way to slam down the wage other than hiring an cheap foreign worker whether they are from India, China or Mexico. Does not matter to what is going to happen to AMerican workers. Geroge Bush does not care. Al Gore does not care. No American political care! Remember that!

Reply to
Red Cloud

Don't expect Democrat change thing around! They never will. Both Demo and Rep are doing the same shitty thing.

Reply to
Red Cloud