Chrysler Maserati TC

I have the opportunity to buy an '87 model of the above car, with the 2.4i engine, but it needs some bodywork repairs and general cleaning up. The interior leather is also DOA, due to exposure to the sun, leaving it badly cracked in most areas. I have been quoted a figure around £700 GBP for the leather to be replaced, so that's not TOO bad, but there are a few dings on the body, and the rubber seal on the driver's door window is perished (apparently a regular 'feature' of the LeBaron, which is basically what this car is, with Maserati body and interior styling).

What is the availability of body parts for this model? I haven't had a lot of luck with google looking for them, and wondered if I'd be buying a liability (I'm in the UK).

I love the overall looks of this car, and would dearly love to get my hands on it, but would it prove horrendously expensive to get it back into good order, or can it be done sensibly?

Thanks for any advice/comments, good or bad.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bugger! It's an '89 not '87.

Sorry!

Reply to
Dave

I suspect that the availability of body parts would be almost nil. I'm in the USA and could perhaps could check with local Chrysler dealers for you. However, I suspect that they might not be too cooperative.

This was a VERY limited production car and I'm sure that few spares are stocked.

On the other hand, the mechanical parts are almost surely available.

Have you checked with Maserati in Italy to see if they might have something?

Doug

Reply to
sparks065

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for all the input guys, but the whole thing is moot. The guy I was buying it from withdrew it from sale JUST before I did the deal.

The annoying part is, I'd spent all morning trying to arrange insurance for the beast here in the UK, only to have the rug pulled out from under me at the last second, as I found an underwriter willing to carry the risk

I suspect it is the ONLY example of the car in this country too!

Damn my luck.........

Reply to
Dave

I'd say your luck is excellent indeed.

Unless you were anxious to spend US$3,000 on a headlamp assembly, US$1800 on a brake master cylinder, etc.

Get a LeBaron Cabrio instead. Almost as scarce/exclusive in your part of the world as a TC, several orders of magnitude more dependable and several MORE orders of magnitude cheaper to keep running. You can find them on the continent, e.g. via

. Be sure to get an '87 to '92 model (with hidden headlamps), as LH-dip headlamps are available for these but NOT for the '93-'94 aero headlamp units.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the sage advice Daniel (As ever in this group). I'll take a look for a cabrio as suggested. However, the cachet of driving around in a car BADGED as a Maserati, with the reliability of Chrysler running gear was sooooo tempting :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Buy or make the badges!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

They weren't Chrysler's best years. I like the styling, & the turbo models have good power, but I would find another car. If a TC came along, I'd want it to since it *is* a rare, good-looking machine. :-) But it would have to be as a collector machine (not a daily driver), & I would expect to have to make or repair the unavailable parts. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver