DRL's (again)

Hi...

Hope I can ask another question without causing dissension again...

Vehicle is 94 LHS, in every respect like new with the exception of no drl's. Mr Stern suggested a nice replacement, but I procrastinated like us old folks do, and they're still not fixed.

However, next door neighbor brought home 4 modules from Bucks (junk yard) yesterday. Free. Remove them yourself, you get what you get.

Plugged each of them into my car, tried them. Nothing from any of them. Tried moving the car; still nothing.

Plugged each into one of my neighbor's cars - 91 or 92 smaller Dodge. Two of the four dead as a doornail, one lit up his high beams immediately, the other lit up as soon as the car moved.

Don't know if they're supposed to be movement sensitive or not? And if so, does the module respond to the car speed sensor, or is the module itself motion sensitive?

Checked, and found a fuse for drl's in the engine compartment fuse box; it's good, and there's 12v on it.

Is there any other common fault that anyone could suggest? Perhaps I should mention that there's a 3rd party remote starter installed, if that's at all relevant.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Some are, some aren't. What years/models did he pull the modules from? There are several variations that look/fit/plug in the same way, but aren't interchangeable.

None of the modules is motion-sensitive, no.

Dead high-beam filaments in both of your headlamp bulbs...?

Oog. Those always cause "fun" (not!) electrical problems.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hi Daniel...

Thanks for your reply; much appreciated.

The headlights are fine... well, they work, anyway :)

Just for the heck of it, I plugged all four of those freebie drl modules into my neighbors wife's 93 Spirit - all four worked fine. Confusing business, this is :)

Watched another neighbor shuffling cars this evening... one is a brand spanking new Dodge (government) truck. It was turning on and off its drl's when it went into/out of gear.

So, I just may have one shot left. Mine was at the dealer's last week for two recalls... the driver seat sticking, and more important, the gearshift moves without a key, AND it starts in any gear. They fixed the seat, but ordered parts for the shift problem. Called today, parts are in, and appointment is for Tuesday morning.

A real long shot, but maybe...

And one more, if I may. This remote starter has no identification on it; just four buttons. If I were to put up a pic of the remote, is it possible that any of you could identify it so I could try to get a manual?

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yep, I am fairly certain your '94 doesn't activate the DRLs unless the car's in gear. If your car starts in any gear, it's possible the fix for that problem will also bring the DRLs back online. Lucky you, then you'll have cruddy DRLs *and* cruddy headlights!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hi Daniel...

Just an update... Winnipeg Dodge Chrysler finished the recall today... the shifter one. They replaced a push rod and a shifter assy according to the N/C invoice.

Feels a bit safer now, at least you need the key to shift it out of park.. BUT it still starts in any gear!! And the drl's don't come on.

Beginning to suspect that maybe the start in any gear part may be related to the remote starter, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them. And I'd still appreciate it if anyone knowledgable in these remote starters would look at a pic of this one and let me know who the maker is?

On the other hand, picked it up after dark, decided to take a little highway trip on the trans canada highway and have dinner. First highway trip, first after dark trip. Fantastic ride, smooth comfortable, quiet. On cruise at 90 kph (54 mph) the instanteous mpg readout showed 32 miles per US gallon, which is unbelievable. Enjoyed it :)

Take care,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Me, I would've left it be. I *despise* faux-safety "nanny" features like this, and I've driven a great many vehicles with no such shift interlocks in perfect safety for many, many years and miles and kilometres. But I think I remember your saying you've primarily owned GM cars, which helps explain why you felt naked without a shift interlock! ;-)

is a single click away ;-)

Fully believable on this end...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Having installed several remote starters, I can't see how a half competent installer could cause the neutral start interlock to be bypassed by the installation of a remote starter - but then there are a lot of TOTALLY incompetent installers around who , I suppose, could screw up an installation badly enough to surprise anyone.

Only other likely cause is a defective or bypassed switch (bypassed why??)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Hi...

Finally got to the bottom of this - the starter relay (in the engine compartment fuse box) has been bypassed.

Nothing I do to the shifter in the car will make the ground side (going to the transmission) be grounded.

Now I have to find the actual switch. Anyone know where that switch is physically located?

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel