Diagnosing misfire in jeep V6 engine?

My son-in-law recently purchased (very cheaply) a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L V6 engine. He claims it misfires when he drives it. I've helped him replace the plugs and tested the coil packs and it seem to start and idle just fine. I also cleared the OBD II codes as well (it also reports the ox sensor bad).

As it seems to misfire only under load I'm thinking fuel system issue. But not being that skilled in newer mechanics I'm hoping some of you who are can provide some tips on what and how to diagnose this further.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
BobMCT

If it only misfires under load I'd be thinking ignition system issue. But it could be either. If your ox sensor is bad it could be running too lean perhaps causing misfire under load.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher