"Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep"

Compass is kinder, gentler Jeep The new car market is changing as are the philosophies of automotive manufacturers. Jeep is no different then any other, so they are looking toward expanding their appeal with vehicles such as the Compass. at

Mike

"I have been under-whelmed by the new Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT) finding their way into some vehicles. However, the one used in the Compass shows that the technology is coming along quite rapidly."

Owner's manual for my Civic says that CVT requires oil change every 15,000 miles. I find this to be excessive for a transmission, which is why I bought the manual transmission version. I don't know that the Compass CVT is the same, but I assume that it is. Of course if you like having repetitive meaningless maintenance services performed on your vehicles, this could be a selling point.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Unless the CVT takes some bizarre juice it's not a big deal.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Bret,

You want to think about why a CVT transmission would require fluid changes that often. The most likely reason, it being some kind of automatic, is that there is something in it chewing itself to pieces, as there is in all automatics, except much more quickly. I don't know the recommendations for the Compass, only the Hondas, but it is something to ask before buying one.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Completely different internal construction for the most part. CVT's use belts either in compression or tension. Remember the old dutch DAF?

Reply to
Lon

Lon wrote in news:K_ednS0xxYEXBiTZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Who could forget a car called the.... ready? Here it comes.... DAFFODIL!

XS11E

"Mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Compass is a restyled Dodge Caliber

Reply to
XS11E

Ritzsite is a very cool site, all kinds of interesting cars many people have never heard of, no Jeeps though. However they do have a few nice Studebaker pages, even have a car of mine!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

XS11E proclaimed:

^^ Neon

Reply to
Lon

Lon wrote in news:o6CdnfCfTZImxF_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

There's not a trace of Neon in the Caliber OR the Compass, the Caliber/Compass is a complete new design.

Reply to
XS11E