Req: Some advice on buying a Jeep

I've been wanting to buy one for a few years and now have a good reason to do it, since my 88 Honda CRX is beginning to show its age. The Jeep that I want is a 2003 or 2004 Sahara. Rubicons are a little too much unless you are a hard core off-roader and I am not crazy about the way the extra length kind of ruins the classic Jeep lines in the Unlimited models. Obviously it might make sense to wait a couple of weeks till 2006, so the 2003-2004 models depreciate a bit more. The prices may rise a bit as we get closer to the summer, but is there a good period to look for used Jeeps? Do a bunch of them get traded in or sold as people buy 2006 models? I would have to finance a large chunk of it, so I'd have to buy from a dealership. You can get financing for a private party transaction but its a real pain and the rates are much higher. I've been keeping track of Saharas on Ebay and I am wondering if that maybe the way to go, but I don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from the Registry ( I am in Arizona) if I'd have to pay sales tax at 7.6% at some point if I bought a Jeep out of state. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Reply to
Ripley59

I do not know that vehicle values will change significantly after the first of the year. You might get someone who needs to sell their Jeep now for Christmas or one in January/February to pay Christmas bills.

I cannot comment on Arizona vehicle taxation but ANY DMV clerk would certainly know if they were required to charge you tax when you went to title the Jeep.

The way it works in Ohio is if I buy a vehicle in KY or IN I do not pay their tax but I do have to pay Ohio tax when I go to title the vehicle.

As for financing...... your corner Credit Union will almost always be a better deal than what the dealership will arrange because the charge interest on the declining balance method.

Billy snipped-for-privacy@fuseSPAM.net (Remove the SPAM)

2002 WJ Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Helping is why we are all here on RAMJ+W, or should be.
Reply to
billy ray

I have to agree with Billy Ray about the financing. You can get preapproved from a credit union and then go shopping. Rates are almost always better with CU. I havent financed a vehicle any other way in over 20 years.

Reply to
Rich

I will comment on the sales tax thing. In NJ anyway, one pays the sales tax on a used vehicle when one registers it. It does not matter where it was purchased. It might be that way in Arizona. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I just registered my '02 Liberty in Arizona (moved from Texas) and I only had to pay registration and title fees. But, it was previously registered and titled in Texas. I suspect if you show up with paper dealer plates from another state you'll have to pay sales tax like if you purchased it in Arizona. And if you first register out of state you'll have to pay someone else's state sales tax.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
RoyJ

The way most states work it is that you have to pay the "sales and

**USE** tax" when you register it, some states will give you credit for previous sales taxes paid.

Ripley59 wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

I just bought an '04 Rubicon from a private party here in so. calif. after looking for a jeep for a few months. My observations are:

  1. Jeeps will depreciate at a faster rate the first couple or 3 years after new. I believe that's because if the price of a used 2-3 year old jeep is too close to that of a new one, the buyer will just get the new one.

  1. The extra money you pay for certain "upgrades" like the Sahara or Rubicon or the hard top is worth it when you go to sell later. You won't necessarily get all your outlay back but you'll get some and you'll also sell it quicker.

  2. The "turn-over" rate on jeeps, especially Wranglers, is not nearly like other vehicles. And it seems like Jeep owners tend to keep them a long time (until they wear out!).

  1. If you get a Rubicon from a private party, make certain you get at least

2 working (transponder) keys with it. A spare key from the dealer is about $100.00.

And so far, I am quite happy with my Christmas present to myself.

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

I have purchased Jeep branded Transponder keys on e-bay for $11.99 each.

If you have 2 working keys then you can program them yourself for free.

If, as in my case, you received only one key you take your e-Bay purchased key to your local locksmith* and they cut the key and programmed it for $24.95.

Now that I had 2 working keys I purchased another key from the same e-Bayer for $11.99, had it cut by the locksmith for $2.50 and programmed it myself according to the procedure as shown at

  • This method requires you go to a "real" locksmith, not the guy at the lumberyard.
Reply to
billy ray

Actually, I am a locksmith but I don't work on automotive equipment and I don't know much about them. I went down to my local distributor and bought a half dozen transponder blanks at $11.00 each. I then cut one and took it (and the Jeep) to the local dealer where they programmed it. For $42.00. I didn't think about having another locksmith do it, just assumed that I had to go to a dealer. Good advice! Anyway, just as you did, now having 2 good keys I cut and programmed a 3rd for safetys sake. By the way, the dealer wanted another $45.00 to cut their blank on top of the programming. That plus sales tax takes a major portion of a C-note. Only enough left over to get a small cup of coffee.

Ah, live and learn, huh?

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Yes, my local stealership also wanted a few cents less than $100 to cut and program a key for me and.... well.... I have absolutely no problem with someone making an honest profit but to charge $100 for what I was able to get done by a locksmith for $37 just really rubs me the wrong way.

Reply to
billy ray

I'll comment on the eBay thing.

If you can look at the jeep in person and test drive it before buying, then eBay is fine. But I would never recommend buying any used vehicle based on descriptions and photos alone. Any experienced driver who has spun a few wrenches can pick up a lot just from the feel of the drive, the sound of the motor, and various intangible things. Buying without first looking is asking for unpleasant surprises.

Also ... don't be in a hurry to buy. Another screaming good deal will always come along if you're not perfectly happy with the vehicle or the price.

Just my $.02

Reply to
Robert

Remember Jeeps are different than the "A" typical SUV, their ride is totally different, you hear a lot of rode noise, you feel the road when driving, if you keep this in mind you will be ok and do not compare them to another SUV because there is nothing like it. IT is a Jeep Thing and most people do not understand. I have been driving Jeeps for over 30 years an once you are hooked you are hooked. If you can test drive one both the automatic and the standard, I prefer the standards and never have owned a vehicle with an automatic.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

THATS ALL TRUE, BUT I USE AN AUTOMATIC IN MY BUILDS AND THEY PERFORM BETTER THAN STICK S AND ARE MUCH EASIER TO HANDLE ON rough HILLS,ROCKS AND SO ON. OLD JOHN sorry, damn cap light was on. oj

Reply to
<ajeeperman

And if that is what you prefer that is ok. I was just pointing out drive both a stick and automatic. However, an automatic may be easier to handle for you it does not mean that an automatic is better than a stick for off road or performance.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

True but most people will agree the auto is the way to go, I switched 2 years ago and I'm loving it.

Reply to
Krawl

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
Coasty

'cause your getting older.

Reply to
B a r r y

All of the competitors in the offroad and rockcrawling championships who made the switch to autos years ago must be getting older too based on that. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford