90 Dodge Pickup

I have a full size Dodge pickup and can't figure out how to get the tailgate off -can anyone help?

Reply to
Dan

my 89 truck had that issue. lots of trucks from all makes seem to have issues back then with white paint, and some others occasionally.

body shop told me it was poor prepping of the body back at the factory so the paint doesn't "bind" to the metal correctly, like maybe it was coated with something before it was shipped from stamping plant to the assembly line and the coating wasn't removed or something, but haven't heard from anyone who can confirm that.

Reply to
rob

I've read pretty consistently that the problem was EPA requirements that the manufacturers didn't have the technology to meet yet -- and while light colors were bad, the dark colors (I had a beautiful maroon '87 Lebaron coupe that had pretty much no paint left after about 1995) the dark colors were far worse.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

This was a common problem for almost all late 1980's through 1990's cars. The primer coat was electrostaticly applied, and would oxidize, causing the top coat to come off. I have seen "milky" clear coats on vehicles just a few years old.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50