Headlight

I have a 97 Intrepid and the headlights are self destructing. It seems the clear finish is coming off the plastic and they are getting dull. Is this normal and be quiet about it, or is it another flaw the chrysler knows about. If you email take the 2 out of my email. Thank you glen

Reply to
Glen Sletvold

There's not a damn thing nice that can be said about the '93-'97 LH-car headlamps. They have piss-poor performance even when brand new. It's a race to see whether the lenses will cloud-up or the mounting tabs will break off first.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Microsoft would call it an undocumented feature. It's a common problem. I'm not too happy about having to spend $400-$600 after five years on an item that should last the lifetime of the vehicle, but that's the nature of car ownership these days - people think nothing of spending several hundred or a couple of thousand dollars on routine car maintenance anymore due to poor design.

You can find techniques for polishing it back out (successivly fine grades of sandpaper finishing with 1200 or 1500 grit, then some sort of polish to fill in the fine scratches), but they're mostly wishful thinking (the polishing would have to be repeated often). You'd be essentially removing a protective coating (anti-UV and anti-scratch) that doesn't work very well, but the base material is even worse and will deteriorate more rapidly once exposed.

If the pricing is like the 2nd gen LH cars, you can find individual headlight assys. on the internet for just under $200.

I have a new driver's side assy. for my '99 Concorde sitting on my shelf right now waiting for warmer weather to put it in (the other side was replaced a year or so ago due to an accident, otherwise, I'd need to be replacing it now too).

Bill Putney

I can think of one thing nice to say about them. They are better than the ones that came on some Neons. They turn almost black with age. How anyone sees at night with one of those Neons I don't know.

Reply to
Arthur Begun

I called Chyysler and they said the knew nothing about the problem with headlights. Guess they as well as a big bird have there head in the sand. Glen

Reply to
Glen Sletvold