Help please, Brake Problem with 99 Dodge Caravan

I have a 1999 Dodge grand caravan which is excessively using brake pads.

The pads are lasting about 8-12,000 miles before they are gone on the drivers front. I have replaced the caliper on that side also. I am using durlast pads from auto zone. I am seeing excessive brake dust on the front, but have no pulling or problems stopping. The rotors have also been changed.

The only thing else that comes to mind is excessive use but I have been married to wife for 10 years and she is not a "brake hog". Any ideas?

Also on a side note, where can I get the keepers, little metal locking washers that break when you take them off, that hold the rotor on the axle? I tried auto zone and no luck there.

Reply to
Swatmedic5

You don't need to replace them. They are there to make assembly easier at the factory.

Reply to
Whoever

1) make certain that the slides on the knuckle where the pads ride are free of rust, cleaned down to bare metal, then lube with the appropriate brake grease. Same goes for the bushings and pins. 2) The rear wheel cylinders have seized up, the fronts are doing all the braking. 3) Don't over fill the master cylinder, the fluid needs somewhere to expand to when it gets hot.

You don't really need to replace them, but I get them at my local Ace Hardware, they're in the "Hilman" brand hardware assortment drawers. Our Sears hardware has them also

Reply to
aarcuda69062

After market pads? try using a mopar brand, Also if you work in the city and are constantly stopping and going, run a paper route? And those clips you are refering to are just for assemble line purposes, they keep the rotors from falling off as the vehicle moves down the line. But if you are concerned about the time length of the pads. I would try a Chrysler set, they are about 65 buck if you ask for the Victor Chrysler remans Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
jdoe

Your wheel cylinders are not retracting correctly. possible causes:

1 Stickey wheel cylinder pistons. 2 valve in master cylinder swelled from contaminated brake fluid. 3 master cylinder booster push rod miss adjusted which will not allow pressure to bleed off. 4 wrong or contaminated brake fluid. 5 brake hoses swelled by contaminated fluid. 6 rust >I have a 1999 Dodge grand caravan which is excessively using brake >pads.
Reply to
John_F

Fix or adjust the rear brakes. Dont need the retaining washer clips.

Reply to
nitro