how to ship 2 14" car wheels

I maybe putting up a pair of wheels. Any of you ever shipped any 14" wheels? Best way to pack..........SEPARATELY (2 cartons, as them is heavy!) Just a tag, plastic bag, or do I have to box them? Final weight will set the carrier, but probably UPS

When all else fails, I can call UPS and or Fedex for their suggestions.

tia, Howard

-- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER: THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Reply to
Howard

I recently had to mail 4 chrome wheels from NY to Indiana... the cost was $75 individually boxed, but if I shipped two in a box it would have brought the cost down to $58..... so it depends on what you want to pay.... but yes you certainly have to put them in a box....

Reply to
don

In the UK its about £50 to ship a full pallet on a next day service anywhere within the country, may be more in America for more states travelled but could be your best bet.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I used to work ata UPS counter in a Staples store and we shipped tires pretty regularly. the cheapest way for you would be to get some shrink wrap and shrink wrap them together and wrap them up in brown kraft paper. as long as the rims(if there any) arn't important then not to much damage can happen to rubber.

just my advice but you may want to local UPS counter and see if they will ship them this way. it depends on how anal there counter person, and UPS driver are.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Are they steel wheels or alloys? Alloy wheels should be boxed separately in a 16'' X 16'' X 10'' Box with newspaper for padding. Steel wheels don't need as much TLC.

Alan

Howard wrote:

Reply to
Alan

If they are just plain steel wheels and don't matter if they get dinged, you do not have to box them if your shipping via UPS, just tag them. If they are soft aluminum or some such and would suffer scratching, then put each in a plastic garbage sack and box them in double layer of cardboard. (you probably will need to make your own box)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Along with that good advice, you might take corrugated cardboard and cut it into two round pieces slightly smaller than the OD of the tires to put on both ends of the stack of tires just before the shrink wrap goes on to protect the rims (and tires somewhat). Negligible package weight/cost/size penalty.

When I bought mounted tires on rims from a mail order source, that's what they had done. You gotta figure if that's how they protect their brand new merchandise of several hundred $$ value, it must protect pretty well.

Bill Putney

The wheels are 1972 or so STEEL WHEELS (mopar products) and not exactly pristine. I do remember (maybe) years ago when I worked in a NAPA store, wheels were delivered with a tag wired on and no external packing. Thank you *ALL (*with one exception) for your time and suggestions.

-- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER: THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Reply to
Howard

No, you don't. Only if you want to protect their finish from being damaged (as in the case of chrome wheels)

Reply to
New Comer