oil pan replaced

We have 99 Grand Caravan. Recently we had to replace a rusted oil pan. Has anyone else had such a problem?

Reply to
Lee-Ann

Common as dirt.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Really? Is this a problem with Chryslers only?

Reply to
Lee-Ann

No, it is also common on Ford and GM. I have replaced the oil pan on my 1990 Aerostar 3.0, 1988 New Yorker

3.0, and 1996 Pontiac TransSport 3.8 I have also had to replace pans on Toyotas, Mazdas, and many others over the years. Seams to be a lot more of a problem in the last 10 years than it was 30 years ago - likely due to lighter metal.
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

What do you do, drive over curbs and scratch and bang them all up? I live in a place where road salt is heavily used PA/NY and have never had an oil pan rust badly.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Nope - no physical damage. Just rust. Up here in Ontario, "heavy salt usage" in Pa and Ny is juat a light sprinkle of salt up here.

They generally l;eak at the spot welds where the baffles are installed.. But not always - sometimes right in the middle of a flat(usually upright) area.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce