Please Diagnose My Jeep

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Start the engine, sounds fine. Then, after a few moments, there's a terrible rattle. No performance problems, just bothersome. You can hear the sound fairly well on the video:

What's causing this knocking/rattling noise? Any ideas? How much will it cost to repair?

Thanks!

Reply to
Brettster

Looks to be in time with the fan rotation (hitting shroud?) - water pump bearing or fan clutch. Don't let it come apart and drill into your radiator.

If not that, check belt tensioner pulleys.

Bill Putney

I had a bad sound like that with my 1993 Voyager. It turned out to be the water pump. It sounded like a high pitched rattle sound, as opposed to a worn bearing sound.

I would also suggest checking the fan clutch as Bill suggested. Perhaps you could remove the belt and run it for a few seconds to see if the noise goes away. Any one have any other suggestions to diagnose a worn fan clutch?

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Reply to