Power stering 2003 T&C

On my 2003 Town & Country (long out of warranty) I'm getting a hydraulic sound from the steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min of 75 mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving. The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to goawa for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long trip and it starting to be a little niosy all the time. Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?

Kevin

Reply to
KS

philthy

Make sure the reservoir is filled to the proper level and check underneath the vehicle for leaks, especially at the inner tie rods. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

It's right to the line and every thing down under looks dry. Do you know if OEM Chrysler fluid is synthetic?

Kevin

Reply to
KS

For that year I believe they call for ATF +4 transmission fluid for the power steering and yes ATF+4 is synthetic.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

AS Ted said, its ATF

Reply to
maxpower

If this is making a noise like it's low on fluid even tho the fluid level is ok, it may have a restricted screen in the bottom of the reservoir. I haven't found a good way to clean this screen other than to replace the reservoir. It's fixed the noise every time so far.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

The reservoir sitting on top of the engine?

Reply to
KS

On my 94 and 95 T&C with 3.8, the resivour is on the top of the engine, there is a 1 inch pipe that goes from it to the power steering pump. As for cleaning the screen on the bottom if I was going to do that I would take the resivour off, (after draining the fluid of course) then using a blow gun that sucked up solvent (Snap-on makes such a thing) I would reverse blow it out with compressed air/mineral spirits mixture.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt