PT Power Steering

Am I the only one that has had power steering problems with the PT Cruiser? I have searched this newsgroup and other PT places and have found no other mention of such.

Mine, on a 2000 model with 56000 miles went out on a 800 mile trip over Christmas. All of a sudden it was REAL hard to steer. The fluid level and belt were fine so I drove it on home struggling except when up to interstate speed when it was fine. I got it back from the mechanic today, who replaced the pump, for $415, saying it had no pressure. I was just wondering, am I unique or have others had this problem and just not said anything?

....Fred

Reply to
Fred Martin
041229 1425 - Fred Martin posted:

I have a 2001 LE PT with 51K miles and have had no problem with the power steering...

Reply to
indago

At about 40,000 miles mine started making noise. The system was flushed and the noise went away. Early PT's did report some early failures with this part. Did you take it to a dealer, did you ask if they had a program to cover this part?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I read something, or saw it on Tele. that there is a recall related to power steering on PT Cruisers. Might want to check into it.. Here's a link I found.

$.02

Reply to
Sportster4Eva

Reply to
maxpower

My 2001 PT (Delivered in June of 2000) has the early morning groan issue when the weather is cold. Does the flush generally clear this up? Is the idea like bleeding brake lines, to remove trapped air?

My PT has exhibited one other odd behavior; about 18 months ago, it started leaking fluid from somewhere (I could see the puddles and had to top off the pump). I was travelling a lot and didn't get around to calling the dealer for an appointment to look at right away. After topping it off twice, it quit leaking and the problem hasn't returned yet - seems odd, but who knows what they might put in the PS fluid sold at Wal-Mart, maybe something to swell rubber.

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

maxpower

Early 2001 Cruisers did experience early failure of this part. Did you talk to a Chrysler dealer about this yet?

My 2001 started to make noise and the dealer did a flush and fill and it has been quiet ever since.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Reply to