Re: Hazmat Disposal

...Which is not the same as pouring it into the ground.

Some years ago there was a scandal involving anti-freeze being put into Austrian wine. Made quite a few people ill.

I don't know about the degradation in the soil (your post earlier). Shall try to find out.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I believe it is actually pretty quick degradation in the ground - seems bacteria there break it down pretty quickly.

Bill Putney

You didn't do a Google search, did you?

I had a quick look at "antifreeze" and this nearly-dead-dog story came up near the top.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

No, the dangers to children and animals are well-known. Apparently the stuff tastes sweet, and it's *very* deadly poison.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

|> I had a quick look at "antifreeze" and this nearly-dead-dog story came up |> near the top. | |No, the dangers to children and animals are well-known. Apparently the |stuff tastes sweet, and it's *very* deadly poison.

...and the emergency antidote is whiskey, straight

Reply to
Rex B

Yes, that's why antifreeze was added to some Austrian wine (as mentioned earlier). Much cheaper and vaguely chemically related to the permitted additive.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Now I knew there had to be a good excuse somewhere out there for the bottle of Jack Daniels I kept in my toolbox back in my younger days.

I've checked on this statement, and it appears to be true:

$file/30015602.pdf3-4 ounces of 86-proof whisky, vodka, etc., appears to be a workableantidote *enroute to the hospital*. I learn something new every day :-)

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

The way I understand it, your (our) liver(s) do not know how to metabolize ethelyne glycol, the ethanol in the hootch starts things going and fools the liver into metabolizing the glycol.

Reply to
Neil Nelson