Re: Mechanical vs Electronic - Analog vs Digital

Last year, the questions centered around timing belts and head gaskets.

> Mechanical items. >

I have had no love for setting up the dual point distributor in one of my early

70's muscle cars.

Some of the electronics in todays cars are overly complicated, built with cost rather than reliability in mind.

I hope we never go back to point ignitions or the Chrysler "Lean Burn" system.

Make todays electronics more reliable, design wiring harnesses so they won't chafe and wear thru insulation against moving parts under the hood, make it robust enough to not be affected by RFI and magnetic interfearance from other gear and that would make me happy.

My father and grandfathers taught me the art of shade tree mechanics, honed some more by my neighbors kids with engine swaps and bolt on performance parts.

I learned computers as a career. They stopped teaching us what was inside the black box in the early 80's. Steve

Reply to
Steven Fleckenstein

This is the most accurate and to the point analysis of the problem with auto repair today. Changes are coming too fast for technicians to keep up with.

Retired Dodge tech/service manager

Reply to
loulou

Well said except for one thing, cost of R&D plus cost of maintaining parts and service knowledge base is beyond even normal expectations, therefore, a "full-disclosure" vehicle will cost abnormally more than an equivalent mass produced black box vehicle.

Simple laws of economics will prove the easier path.

Reply to
KaWallski