Source for Chrsler OEM radio parts

I have an OEM Chrysler AM/FM Cassette CD player/radio out of a 1999 Plymouth Voyager (Chrysler part number P04704382), which has a faulty volume control pot., (a well known problem with these radios.)

I'm having trouble locating a source for this part. The dealers I spoke to all send the radios out for repair, and the only two local shops which repair factory radios won't sell me just the part, (they will, however, repair the radio for $80.00 plus part costs).

Does anyone know where I can obtain this part? (Other than salvaging one from another radio).

Reply to
Tony Blake

I had a similar problem with the radio in my 97 sebring, and I couldnt find anything either. I ended up prying open the volume control (which is not a pot but a rotary encoder...) and cleaned it with some electronics cleaner and alcohole. Opening it was a bit destructive so I had to be a bit creative with glue and wire to get it closed again but it has worked ok for 3+ months now.

/Pelle

Reply to
Pelle

Pull the pot out, take the measurements of resistance and size, then start searching for electronics parts distributors on the Internet. If your in a large enough city there will be at least 1 present, but these days a lot of that stuff moves online. Be prepared for $25 minimum order requirements plus shipping unless you can get it locally.

Incidentally these pots go bad because the manufacturers are running DC through them, with the signal superimposed on the DC. It's a common trick and saves a few cents on a transistor. High quality audiophile gear doesen't do this.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
frank

These OEM AM/FM cassette units show up on eBay all the time, as they are often replaced with aftermarket units. The prices range from $10 -

  1. CD systems run a little more.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson