Where to get service

I need to change out the ignition lock cylinder in my '88 Aries, and I don't have the time or tools to yank the steering column like my FSM says I have to do. Is there any national-type of chain that can do this service? Would it be better to go to a Dodge dealer?

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe

Reply to
jmcgill

If it is just the lock cylinder that needs replacement, any qualified locksmith should be able to do that for you.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I don't know of any "specialty" chain, if that is what you are asking. Most any competent independent shop would be able to change the cylinder out for you, likely at a better price than a dealer.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Go for a locksmith.

If you can drive the car to them, then you save a service call. But even with a service call, this should be a quick and realtively inexpensive thing to get done.

I had to have it done years ago. 1979 Malibu Classic. The key stuck in the lock as I was turning the car off. Thankfully, the engine had shut down. And, of course, this had to happen on LABOUR DAY! &^%&^%

Be that as it may, a mobile locksmith came right to my house within an hour. He had the steering wheel off in what looked like SECONDS. Ignition Lock Cylendar replaced in less than 5 minutes. Complete job - front to back - 15 minutes. Price was about $65 $CDN including the parts, and the tax and the weedend holiday service call! C-H-E-A-P!

Cost me an additional $5 to have a couple of spare keys cut.

The Yellow Pages are your friend!

hth

Reply to
NewMan

The only locksmith I called that can do the job is wanting to charge $189 to do the job. I'm thinking the local dodge dealer would be just as bad....I may just have to keep the old one.

Reply to
jmcgill

$189!!! You must have some really funky stuff going on in that steering wheel! What crap.

Call around, there has GOT to be some>The only locksmith I called that can do the job is wanting to charge

Reply to
NewMan

It's a standard steering column, but unfortunately, EVERYTHING has to be removed in an Aries to access the lock cylinder. The labor alone is what is killing me in terms of the price.

Reply to
jmcgill