Xantia Air Con

The air conditioning stopped working, no blower, no heating, no cooling, so I took it to my local to get it regassed. Garage said that system was sound and pressures were good. Before I start stripping out sensors and controls, I'd be grateful for any ideas. Car is 'R' reg and no previous problems with air con.

Reply to
billwood

You have checked the fuses and relays havn't you?...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Thanks Jerry, I should have added I've done all the usual electrical checks, fuses, relays, earths etc, all results lead me to either temp control, blower control or blower motor itself. Guess I'll have to start stripping out the facia. Thanks for your reply. Bill

Reply to
billwood

No blower I think may be the clue. The fan under the glovebox in my Xant was a bit iffy over the three years I had it. One of the connectors was a bit iffy. Sometimes a ruddy great thump seemed to do the trick ( a techniques discovered by my 6 year old son swinging his legs around).

Reply to
malc

Before you go mad stripping things out make a simple check ... does the heated rear window still work? If not then the most likely culprit will be the ignition switch ... Citroen, in their wisdom, routed the full current for the blower motor through the switch contacts instead of via a relay. The same switch contacts also work the rear window heater.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem but fortunately there is a simple, low cost, modification you can do to get around it. Let me know and I can email you an electrical diagram.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Thanks Steve, that'll be my first check then. Suppose I can use the ignition switch to energise a couple of relays to feed blower and window if thats the cause. Thanks again Bill

Reply to
billwood via CarKB.com

Thanks for the info, I've already had the blower out, cant see any problems with connectors, although I have replaced both power trannies. Bill

Reply to
billwood via CarKB.com

The contacts on the ignition switch, if this is your fault, should be able to deliver enough current to energise a relay so it's a relatively simple modification. The rear window heater already has a relay in it's circuit but because the switch contacts are damaged it doesn't work either.

Between the main wiring loom and the ignition switch are three connectors hidden inside the steering column shroud. The one you should be interested in is the brown one - two wires in:two wires out.

If I can be of any more help then feel free to ask.

Reply to
SteveG

Checked rear window and its fine, I'll do load checks on ignition switch this week end. Thanks again. Bill

Reply to
billwood via CarKB.com

This problem was quite common on older models. The ignition switch gets worn (some have said it is overloaded) and breaks on the feed that supplies the Climate control. In my xantia I found rotating the key sometimes got it to work until it finally broke fully.

Regards G

Reply to
G.Cadman