Disco 2 Air con

Whilst having the MOT done last week i got the garage to hook up their air con tester/refiller. When i left the garage the air con was working ok, but a week later its stopped working again (clutch thing on compresor not pulling in). Have had a look for the dye that was put in and can't see any at all. Whilst talking to a fellow D2 owner a few weeks ago he showed me how to check for fault codes on the air con side. With Ign off press and hold the 'Auto' and 'seat' symbol on the air con panel. Turn Ign on and whole display will flash 3 times and then show, in my case tonight 'FC

21' and alternating with 'FC 22'.

Anyone able to tell me what these mean, as when i did the same thing before i got no fault codes at all!.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

You've got mail.

Reply to
Dougal

Surely not.... why don't they just have a message that says so rather than a fault code to decrypt?

Has Bill Gates bought Tata?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Any chance of a copy in my direction?

My DII air-con hasn't worked for ages and having just done the diagnostics as in the OP I also get FC 21 and FC 22 along with the seat symbol and face and foot arrows on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'Tis done.

Reply to
Dougal

My reading of the code list is that FC21/FC22 will not lead to a total loss of air con.. The air distribution will suffer but you'll still get cold.

In other words, both you and Dom have another problem. Dom admits to having a malfunctioning compressor clutch - I don't read that as being asssociated with the sunlight sensor. On the other hand it could be like a Microsoft error message - expect something totally different from what the message states!

Reply to
Dougal

Hopefully the sun will be out tommorow and I'll retry the test. Pity it doesn't tell us anything about the rest of the aircon system like the clutch control, gas pressure switch(s)(if any) state. I suspect my problem is down to lack of gas but I can't see the dye stains anywhere. B-( Still it's winter now and won't need any cooling and this summer I only felt the slight need only two or three times...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most of the dye I've used in the past has only been visible under a UV light source.

Reply to
EMB

Cheers Dougal for the mail, very helpful indeed. Just about to print it off and have a read.

The FC 21/22 is almost certainly coz when i did the test it was dark. Did it again tonight and no fault codes at all. I'll start checking fuses etc over the weekend. I looked for the dye last night with a UV torch and the only bits i could see was in the cap marked 'H'. I was expecting to see dye all over the place.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Dougal Hi,

I would be extremely obliged if you could send me a copy of the diagnostics for the D2 A/C system.

My direct e-mail address is

pantgATotenetDOTgr

Thank you for considering my request.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I'd be having a good look under the dashboard as it's likely to be leaking from either the TX valve or the evaparator.

Reply to
EMB

Yep, when mine went it was the metal pipework that runs under the battery that had chaffed. I had a clur though.... a big green pool of slime on the drive the day after I had it recharged. So if it's leaking inside the green slime should still be evident. If it was a minor leak it wouldn't have had such an effect so quickly. Your other alternative is to get the system pressure tested.

I'm no expert , this was just my experience.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I remember that - how did you fix it ? Didn't you have to get the official pipe ?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Dougal thank you !!!!

I owe you a big glass of cold beer when you will be in Greece

Take care Pantelis

P.S. tried replying to your e-mail but it bounced back.

diagnostics

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Yeah.. even the local masters craftsmen couldn't come up with a fix for the pipe and I'm not one to part with hard earned when I don't need to.. really went againt the grain that did!

:-(

If it hadn't have been for the cost of likely recharges if it failed i'd of tried some of these miracle metal repairs glue wotsits.

hey ho!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D