New to group, and need help...

I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served. currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

-Dave

Reply to
dbpbandit

On 28 Sep 2005 08:55:43 -0700, "dbpbandit" puked:

You might have to 'McGuiver' some of that stuff together. I know that resto parts for a three on the tree are few and far between. I have a

66 El Camino with one. The collar finally gave up the ghost and I converted it to a floor shifter (it really wasn't original when I bought it). Here's a page that helped me along the way, and there's a company that sells parts listed on the page that may have what you're looking for:

It's for Chevys, but maybe you can get some ideas...

lab~rat

Sorry to say it, but you may have to turn to junk yards for some hard to find parts.

Your experience with the parts counter morons is pretty typical. It's sad that they can't get competent folks back there - or at least someone that knows SOMETHING about auto parts beyond "rims", NOS stickers and misc bling-bling.

Reply to
MrC1

"dbpbandit" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If it was a Chevy, I could send you a half dozen on line sources. I'm sure someone from the Ford camp will oblige. Under the category of, "when I was a kid and had to walk 2 miles through the snow to get to school", I remember when there were real Auto Parts Men. In the late

70s I bought a 52 Studebaker 1 ton pick up that had been rolled, just a little wrinkling in the roof, glass came through ok, and needed a clutch. As I recall I paid $50 for the truck. A friend of mine recommended that I deal with his parts guy. A parts guy my friend had followed from store to store as the parts guy moved from job to job. I got directions to his current store and went. I walked in, asked for the guy, and said, "Mike sent me, and I need a clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bushing for a '52 Stude 1 ton pick up". He looked at me, ignored the 6 feet of parts catalogs on the counter, walked to the shelf pulled all the parts and put them on the counter and said, "The core charge is $5." From then on, he was my parts guy too.
Reply to
Charly Coughran

Charly, You're absolutely right. They're few and far between, but luckily they're out there. In fact, I was one of those guys once, back in my college days. I took great pride on actually knowing what I was talking about and admitting when I did not. This is probably the most important feature of a good parts/service guy. It's unfortunate that most of those "good" guys are destined not to remain behind a parts counter and usually move on to better things, leaving us poor fools relying on the remaining morons behind that counter. Unfortunately these are the guys that will stay in that job for years to come, so I guess we're doomed!

Reply to
MrC1

You might try going to the hardware store or maybe a farm store or small engine repair shop if you have one and looking at the roll pins. I bet you can find one that will work. Just figure out the length and diameter before you go. (don't do it like I do) :^)

Leon Rowell

dbpbandit wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

I ran into the same problem last weekend at O'Reilys The kid didn't even know what a 1/4" brass plug or a reducer was. I had to go behind the counter to the fitting storage cabinet and show him..... Amazing.

Leon Rowell

dbpbandit wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

AW yes the younger generation

Reply to
LARRY929

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:30:19 +0000 (UTC), Charly Coughran puked:

Core charge on a clutch? Wow, that is a parts guy...

lab~rat

lab~rat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

untill recently all rebuilt clutches had a core charge. Your showing your lack of age youngster. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Kevin Bottorff wrote in news:Xns96E090FBF3443kevynetinsnet@167.142.225.136:

I wonder if he would believe me that once upon a time brake shops routinely rebuilt both master and wheel cylinders in the shop. "I grow old, I grow old, I will wear my trousers rolled." -TSE

Reply to
Charly Coughran

RE: clutch had one put in my trk. 140xxx on the clock , wonder if this one will last that long parts just dont las t do they? TRk has almost

150xx on it now not bad for 20 yrs. old.
Reply to
LARRY929

==================================== "Once upon a time?"

I must be living a fairy tale life....

Of course, I do a little more to them than just rebuild.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Way

Joe Way wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Very smooth way to get an advertisement in. Yes you are living a fairy tale life. You also rebuilt the master and brake cylinders in my Chevy 5 window. Nice job. How's that for a free plug.

Reply to
Charly Coughran

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:14:25 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff puked:

LOL. That's the best news I heard all day!

lab~rat

Thanks for all of the feedback. I did try all of the "real" auto parts stores and surprisingly I came across a few older guys who actually knew what I was talking about. I also talked to a guy over at a "commercial" Ford truck parts dealer. He looked for about 10 min and finally found it in a book. Unfortunately, it isn't a roll pin, that would just fall straight through, it's a "Spring Pin" and Ford no longer makes/carries them. I also hit a couple of wrecking yards and the few 3 speeds I found all had the shifter rigged with something else. I will keep looking until I get my parts in but if I can't find one I guess I will have to make one. If I figure something out I will let you all know. Thanks again....

-Dave

-----

"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"

Reply to
dbpbandit

A roll pin will work, you might have to grind it down to the right length . They are very hard to cut with hack saw.

Reply to
LARRY929

Hey Dave, A "Spring Pin" is AKA a roll-pin or a split-pin. See

for detailed specifications and sizes.

If it is falling through, you need a larger size. It should be slightly larger than the hole it goes into such that you have to drive it in with a hammer and punch. As previously said, you should be able to get at a hardware supplier or order online such as:

3/32 x 3/4 Roll Spring Tension Pin,Steel, 100 Per Box, $2.36

From Barnhill Bolt @

Good Luck,

Razorblade

Reply to
Razorblade

A lot of keeping older all-mechanical vehicles going is knowing basic machinery and hardware. A lot of keeping them going cost-effectively is knowing what to fix and what to chuck. I wouldn't have a points distributor stuck up my butt, I'd convert to electronic ignition. Same with road draft tubes-put in a PCV system.

Roll pins are sold long and you cut them down. A Dremel tool with a cutoff disk works well.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

"dbpbandit" wrote in news:1128096671.943172.114100 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Try

Enter roll pin in the parts finder search box, and you will be shown a variety of pins which are called roll pins or split pins. Choose the one which is most likely to do the job.

Reply to
Charly Coughran