clutching at straws.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me out with a prob with our 1971 Hillman Hunter every know and agin when i put my foot down on the clutch weather i am stoped or moveing i get a noise like someone sanding down a piece of metal the clucth works well no slip or judder it was replaced in 1984 and has only done about 25000 since then however most of that town drving and last year the car had a long lay up and the clutch stuck be we got it freed the car only gets a run every 2-3 weeks i wonder is this the start of the end for this clutch as i say it dont slip the only other thing i have slight trouble getting second when cold but that gets better as the car warms up the car behaves well aprt from that and gos like a rocket even from stand still on hills E.T.C if any one could give me any pointers i would be very greatful. Cheers gents. George

Reply to
George Weatherley

I am not sure whether the Hunter has a clutch release bearing with a carbon ring or a ballrace. If it is a ballrace, then it may have started to rust while the car was laid up.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

The carbon thrust bearing on the end of the clutch fork is worn --- if it was replaced with the rest of the clutch 25,000 miles back any wear is down to driver habit - like many cars of an earlier era fitted with a carbon thrust clutch release bearing the Hunter just won't tolerate any riding of the clutch at all -- the drivers left foot should be kept off the clutch at all time except when changing gear, when at te traffic lights the car should be put out of gear and the handbrake applied.

The other thing car cars with this type of clutch thrust bearing won't tolerate is being started with the clutch depressed.

Reply to
dilbert

Cheers gents this makes sence not that me or my father ever keep a car in gear at the lights but i know my dad slips it a fair bit at times when parking aspecial on the hill we live on. (well i would blame him, dont tell him!) it sounds like one of thoses things that may be can hang on till the clutch itself wears out and starts sliping? In any case its going to have to hang on a while i have just M.O.T`d and reinsured the morris so funds are tight. Many thanks George

Reply to
George Weatherley

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "George Weatherley" saying something like:

If the carbon ring is worn right down to the metal carrier, the metal-metal contact will wreck the ring on the pressure plate in short order. It may even friction weld itself on, but that's unlikely.

Afair, you can see the condition of the release bearing if you can get the car up on a lift and peer into the clutch arm hole in the bellhousing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks I will have a look i have a friend that has a pit he may let me pop it over and have a look. Thanks George

Reply to
George Weatherley

You won't see much on a Hunter

Reply to
dilbert

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dilbert" saying something like:

Yeah, it might be a bit tight, but there's always a borescope...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi, Thanks gents for help I had the car out at the weekend and all seamed quite, I have know started on the body so I will keep an eye (or ear) on the clutch when i start running around in it again. Many Thanks George

Reply to
George Weatherley