Land Rover 6 speed gearbox

Does anyone know the type of 6 speed gearbox that was suggested for a LR a few years ago before the various takeovers. Failing that can someone suggest a reliable 6 speed box to mate to the V8 engine.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

Surely the V-8 in the correct state of tune has such a wide torque band that a six speed ain't necessary?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

But it would be nice to have a really tall 6th gear for motorway economy

Reply to
Fishman19

I don't think there can ever be such a thing in something with the aerodynamics of a Landy :P.

Reply to
Doki

I'd say the aerodynamics of an LR would make that pointless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You can actually buy overdrive units for the lt230 transfer case. Top speed is not the main point, its lowering the engine revs a little and improving economy. Any ideas which 6 speed box............

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

How many vehicles are fitted with a 6 speed box that would handle the torque? And are RWD? The odd BMW, etc? I'd say the choice is fairly limited, and would be expensive even secondhand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The one in my Passat I would imagine. This would be relatively easy to convert to RWD - although obviously it would be good to retain the 4wd for use in a landy. longitudinal gearbox and they have been known to take

300lb/ft of torque in a remapped TDI 130 like wot I've got.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle