Jaguar E type 1 1/2 FHC '67 gearbox upgrade

Hello,

I just bought a lovely E Type 1 1/2 FHC 2+2 with an automatic gearbox. I would like to make an upgrade to a 4 or 5 gear all syncro gear box. Does any one have experience with such a conversion and can they give me links.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

You're probably better asking over in uk.rec.cars.classics

Reply to
SteveH

I assume that the E-type came with a manual gearbox. I'd not be surprised if Jag used very similar boxes on their entire range. I reckon it'd just be a case of getting a box of the right vintage (or perhaps even not) and bolting it on.

If it's the straight 6 or V12 you've probably got the same bolt pattern running at least up to the XJ40 six cylinders and the introduction of the V8 X300 for a 12 cylinder. And I'd expect both 6 and V12 to have the same bolt pattern.

Reply to
Doki

Righttttt.....

What makes you think any / all of the above ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

People don't like to change tooling unless there's a good reason. The AJ6 was introduced with the XJ40, replacing the XK6 that they'd been using since the stone age. I'd be surprised if they swapped gearbox bolt patterns much during the time they were producing it. A bit of research reveals that the E-type in question is too early to be a V12, so it'll be an XK6. And apparently the XK6 was fitted in some Daimlers up to 92.

Obviously gear ratios might be a bit strange if you pull a manual box off an XJ40 and fit it to an E-type, but maybe not. The XJ40 will do around

135-140, so the gearing might not be too far out.
Reply to
Doki

There are conversion kits available to fit a modern 5 speed box. Not cheap but I can imagine they'd add value to the car, although the 2+2 is the most unloved of the bunch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)