Help! How to sell my Rover P6?

How to sell my 1975 P6 2200SC?

I've had no end of problems caused by selling this car, all of them through time wasting, idiot individuals or scam artists, rather than the quality of the car itself.

Does anybody on here have any advice? It's been on ebay three times now, properly listed as a car which isn't cheap and it has made its way on to all sorts of classic classified sites and has been advertised in two classics magazines that you'd find in most WH Smiths.

I'd really appreciate any help because I don't have the space for it, yet I don't want to end up giving it away for free because a) It's so good b) I'd like a few hundred quid from the sale to take a little holiday especially after the stress of trying to sell it!

If anyone on here might be interested, or know someone who might, please use the following link for some pics

the now ended, but not fruitful, ebay auction
As you can see I'm not asking the earth for it, so why so many problems?

Please help!

Reply to
fishman

I'd love to buy your P6 - and watched it through ebay.

Why didn't I?

1/. You're a bit too far for me to come and view 2/. The head gasket's away and this means it may need a skim at the very least - then conversion to unleaded. It might blow on the way from your house to mine? 3/. It's not tax exempt 4/. I don't have the storage space. 5/. My wife would kill me.

Otherwise, I would like a tax exempt, auto. Preferably a Triumph Slag; it would be with being killed for a good one of those.

P.S. anyone want to buy my TR7?

ken

1981 TR7 DHC
Reply to
Ken Forrest

Firstly, describe it as honestly as possible, warts and all. That way nobody can complain that it's not as you described it.

Secondly, to keep out the scam artists and muppets, use buyer/bidder control -

Thatway you can make it open to pre-approved bidders only - anyone who isserious about buying it has to contact you first to confirm that factbefore you allow them to bid. HTH

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Is the head gasket away? I don't remember this bit of information, though I did wonder about the temperature guage failure...

How much. You are vaguely local, no? I would certainly like to have a think about it; the Supra and Sera are always being offered for sale. Last temptation was a CX 25 GTI Turbo 2, but when I saw the standard of the repair work on the door, and learned that the same person was repiping it, I kinda lost interest ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

"RichardK-PB" wrote

No, this is fine, it is the exhaust manifold gasket and not the head gasket. Temp guage is most likely an electrical fault.

Reply to
fishman

fishman was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Stick in an new sensor - worked wonders on my P6.

So wonderful in fact that the car now sports a reconditioned radiator :-/.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

In news: snipped-for-privacy@odie.unix-consult.com, Timo Geusch decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Timo, it's *yours*... of course it's got problems :)

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

I think it just prefers to be in Ely[1] rather than down here in the smoke. Can't really blame it...

[1] I usually have the bigger bits worked on at Ely Services. Proper old-fashioned place run by enthusiasts who know what they're doing. Definitely recommended if you've got a P6.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

Shuttit. Just please, don't mention this car again. I am getting seriously tempted by it, and I am supposed to be cutting down on cars. At least you didn't say "You're on" when I joked about £300, I've got a firm offer on my Apple //c and it ought to be going on house repairs, not bangers ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Just buy it, before I have to, ffs!

Mind you, that TR7 also sounded tempting, but I _really_ must get that s**te old Golf back on the road first.

Reply to
SteveH

Just push it back until it's on the road.

See? Easy...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Even I'm half tempted..

as long as I can turn up to buy it in the Excursion.

Reply to
Pete M

Hmmm, pushing back would take me through the garage into the back garden ;-)

I can see you're experienced in this area....

Reply to
SteveH

I remember once helping a friend change the exhaust manifold on his

2200TC. We looked at three in a scrapyard before finding one that wasn't cracked in exactly the same place (this was in the eighties when scrapyards were full of them). From what I remember, the crack was very close to the mounting flange, but on the underside where it's hard to spot. Now, OK this may just be a 2200TC weakness, but I'd still be sceptical about anyone claiming it's just the gasket blowing.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

From reading the description it's the exhaust manifild gasket that needs replacing

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Willy Eckerslyke" wrote

Interesting reading. I haven't assessed the problem myself. I got the car in a direct swap for a Lancia that was stuck in my ex's garage with no brakes. My reasoning was that at least the P6 drove and was therefore an "everyone's happy" deal because the guy wanted my car to finish the project I'd started and wanted the P6 off his drive, and I wanted to get the car from Coventry to Manchester. The guy who took my Lancia told me it was the gasket and I took his word for it as he was a knowledgeable guy whose friend has 27 P6's!

Reply to
fishman

You still have it, Timo? I still want one. And still have a dead XJ6 to contend with.

Reply to
Sean

From Coventry? Looks very like one that was on ebay a year or so ago (when I was last looking for one.)

Reply to
Sean

Sean realised it was Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:20:14 +0000 and decided it was time to write:

What series? Which engine? How dead?

Reply to
Yippee