rimmer sports system on 110 - problem

Evening all,

Just started to fit my nice new Rimmer stainless Sports system to my

110. Sadly, the first bit I went to bolt on presented my first problem. The RH manifold doesn't seem to fit! Ignoring the fact that I need to trim it a bit to fit with the pulsair system pipes (which is fair enough, it says that in the instructions), the pipe from the number 6 cylinder seems to foul the M8 bolt going through the chassis that holds a bracket that bolts up to the footwells in the bulkhead. Even with this removed (which I've yet to actually try) it looks like it'll still foul the chassis. Bugger.

Has anyone else come across this? The pipe does seem already to be "flattened" a bit in this area, as if to make it clear, but I'm quite sure even without this mounting bolt, it won't be enough.

Ta, Paul

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Paul

I struggled too - took me about 3-4 evenings. I took the pulsair system off - I believe it was their purely for emissions puposes and was of limited effectiveness except perhaps in reducing the performance slightly. Since I run on LPG I had no compunction in removing it - you can get blanking plugs.

Main problem I had was on the near side where the down pipe fouled the fixed clutch pipe, which I had to bend out of the way. I seem to remember having to remove a heatshield from around the starter motor and shortening a bolt (this might be the one you're having a problem with) to to get it to fit Some of the clearances are really tight, but it should fit eventually.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

When the same system was fitted to my 90 V8 there was a bolt through the chassis near the alternator that needed turning round so the thread cleared it, but that was it. The manifold fitting kit that Rimmer do made fitting much easier - they had the cheek to try and charge for it but after a 5 minute rant they threw one in for free and gave me a discount! :)

Reply to
Exit

Hi, This was probably the worst thing we ever bought. It took 9 hours to fit the complete system to a classic RR, including removing the engine mounts and lifting the engine to gain enough clearance to get it in and tweaking the over-axle bend to prevent it hitting one of the chassis cross-members. The tail-pipe also stuck out of the back of the car by a rediculous amount. It was fitted by a company that Rimmer suggested and they commented that they would not like to fit another. It came off again 6 months later to be replaced by a genuine parts system, as it was unpleasant to be in and didn't run smoothly despite 2 rolling road sessions. Anyway, they've probably improved them since then, Giles

Reply to
giles evans

What does the manifold fitting kit comprise of? Is it just 16 studs and some nuts to do on them?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Well, apart from "they're a bugger to fit" everyone else only has good things to say about them. I'll carry on, but not likely to have much more time till the back end of next week anyway, sadly...

Paul

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Yep.

Reply to
Exit