MG ZS

Hi All, we've just bought ourselves a MG ZS 1.8 120+ on a 52 plate, we're very pleased with the car but i wondered if anyone can advise me on anything i should look out for, it has 25k on the clock and a full service history, the only down fall for me is that it's silver, other than that the car is smashing....TIA

Reply to
Lady Nightmare

Look out for all those jealous divers of foreign marques (usually company car drivers) who can't stand the thought of you driving such a smashing car. They can only say the word "Rover" (several times), and don't (and won't) associate with the MG ZS specification. You will meet some on the newsgroups. BTW we have an MG, a ZS180 on an 04 plate. All the best with your car, nice choice..!

Reply to
John & Lisa

Ahh yes, the specification:

From the MG Rover website - Top speed - 139mph

0- 60 - 7.3secs 30 - 50 in 4th 6.0 secs 50 - 70 in 4th 6.0 secs

Hardly worth writing home about ! And 12 seconds to go from 30 - 70mph in 4th ???!!! Jes' you kids must have all the patience in the world !

Reply to
Gizmo

You also have my sympathy. For your poor fortune, poor taste and ability to deceive yourself that a stick on badge makes a difference.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh, but it's a 'future classic British "misscle' car'. How dare you tarnish it's future status ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Erm, no.

You appear to know nothing of the GM / Fiat deal. It was an equity swap deal where each partner owned percentage shares in each other. The agreement allowed one or other partner to make an offer to buy the other one out.

*was* is the operative word. By the time 'John and Lisa' bought their Honda Civic 'Ripspeed' edition, Rover was entirely owned by the Krauts.

Erm, I made the point:

'But the MG Civic is only as 'British' as a Toyota Carina, Honda Accord, Nissan Primera or Pug. 206.......'

There was nothing more British about the Ripspeed Civic than there is about a Honda Accord.

Oh, good.

Anyone would think you were being deliberately argumentative.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's a certain degree of proportion involved.

Wasn't the MG ZS launched post-Phoenix?

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And those percentages were?

6% of GM owned by Fiat. 20% of Fiat owned by GM.

And GM still buying Fiat diesels.

Reply to
Adrian

Other than the fact that it was a Jap market Civic saloon that had been tweaked by Rover.

No, they also sold the Rover 100, which was British and also ancient, then there was the Rover 200 which was a bastardisation of the Metro and

400, ISTR.

But that's also true of the British made Accord and Primera.

Accords are sold in Japan, but they're a very different car to the one sold here - more different to the British Accord than the Rover 400 is to the Jap Civic saloon.

Reply to
SteveH

Douglas Payne ( snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, the Krauts had flogged it off.

Umm, no.

Adrian

Sold after Honda had any say in whether or not it would end up on the market.

Oh give it a rest. If you're going to be like that, all cars are a bastardisation of the day when someone put 4 wheels and an engine on his bike.

And my dad is bigger than your dad.

No it isn't, where's the Ripspeed rebadged Accords and Primeras?

More different than the MG ZS is to the JDM Civic Hatch?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne ( snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

True.

Reply to
Adrian

*sigh*

Building predominantly rebadged obsolete Japanese or BWM designs.....

Reply to
SteveH

Heh.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm not disputing that the Rover 400 was a civic, I'm disputing SteveH's allegation that people who buy one to be patriotic are completely misguided.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Patriotic". What a silly outdated concept in a global economy.

What's it mean? Keeping the money in the UK? I s'pose the MG/Rover'd do more of that (through servicing...) - because Phoenix were nominally British. All the profits of Toyota in Derbyshire and Honda in Swindon will go back to Japan, and those of Peugeot in Coventry and Nissan in Sunderland to France.

But since every bloody company of any size anywhere in the world is ultimately owned by global shareholders it's *totally* academic.

Reply to
Adrian

I stand by my point that it's no more patriotic to buy a Rover than it is to buy any other 'foreign' car built in this country.

Reply to
SteveH

Cool, we got to 'profit' from the losses of MG-Rover ;-)

That's true patriotism for you.

Reply to
SteveH

*sigh*

I never pretended that I thought any Rover/MG product was any good...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

'do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?'

Reply to
SteveH