Mk3 Escort/ Triumph (Mini) Alternator Swap?

It's windy, it's raining, and I don't feel like doing the job.. But...

A mk3 Escort 1.3 estate I sold a friend a couple of months ago appears to have a dead alternator... As I found when I was called out to go help him get home. He's got a diesel Fiesta sat doing nothing, but the alternator won't fit.

However, I've got a spare Lucas 45a one sat on a Triumph 1300 engine that's not in a car anymore, so easy to get off. Will it fit? The Lucas one is originally off a Mini, same fittings as Triumph 1300/ 1500 engines, and somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to recall reading Ford ones can be fitted to Triumphs, so I'm hoping I can fit one off a Triumph onto a Ford! It's a 1300 cvh engine, if that makes any difference.

Be nice to get some replies before tomorrow afternoon, when I've got to brave the elements :(

Oh, and it's totally a classic car question - According to my insurance comp, the Escort was a classic!

Reply to
Stuffed

Yes the alternator should fit. Do not forget, and many do, that there is adjustment to fit the engine bracket in the form of the boss on one leg of the mounting bracket on the alternator. There may be one problem and that is that the rear of the alternator may be very close to the exhaust down pipe depending on the make of alternator. It may not last long owing to the heat!

Dixie

Reply to
dixie

OK, I think I got most of that!

Just trying to get the car back on the road without having to shuffle off to breakers in the rain... It doesn't really matter how long the alternator lasts so long as it manages a couple of weeks, till the next dry spell :)

Reply to
Stuffed