morris oxford clutch 1622cc

Hi George, As you've covered my first instinct of checking the engine mountings, it sounds as though you might have oil contamination on the clutch lining. Are there any traces of oil leaking between the engine to bellhousing joint? This would be an obvious sign, though enough oil to cause problems could be present withaut an external leak being evident. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

Hi All, wonder if anyone can help me out whats the best way to tell if the clutch is going on a morris oxford farina cuase when i hill start and when when i pull away on the flat i seam to get a judder but the car selects it gears first time everytime when the clutch was going on my austin a60 cambridge 10 years ago it would not engage gears and was awuful when changeing up and down but the oxofrd just seams to judder i can hear a fair amount of noise when i push down the clutch and then let it idle but on the move everything seams ok but on hill starts and pulling away it seams juddery. I have dirven and been driven in farinas for for aorund 200,000 miles between mine and my fathers cars but have only every had to replace one clutch cause they seam so hard wearing any one any ideas. thanks George P.S i have checked mounting and rubber bushes all seams well. Thanks for your help

Reply to
George Weatherley

You may have a distorted or worn flywheel. There may be a propshaft or back axle or spring bush problem.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks gents for your sugestions, i got right under the car on saturday and only then did i notice one of the bushes on the gearbox steady was round the wrong way and the ment the clamp that holds it was round the wrong way so it was not holding it much at all there i also looked at the slave cylinder that had looked perfect when i looked before but i found the 2 bolts were not even finger tight alowing it to move as it was used, since talking the car on a couple years ago i have found loads of lose stuff i have since sepnt alot of time going round check everything!! i have only had time to go round the block in it the clutch does seam smoother but there is still a bit of noise when i press the pedal and relese it but it all seams more steady when pulling away i think if it can get round to next spring i will whip the clutch out and have the flywheel checked as per your susgestions cause i work outside the weather is abit ruff now to start doing that. Thanks again guys I will let you know the outcome. George

Reply to
George Weatherley

Sounds like a case of finger-tight restoration to me! R

Reply to
R Strong

Handy tip coming up . . .

If you are not going to tighten something properly straight away, never ever leave it finger-tight, always leave it obviously loose. Otherwise you or somebody else will assume it has been properly tightened when it hasn't.

BTDT :-(

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

Ron, I think who ever had done work on my car in the past had got a really bad memory everything I touched was lose the bumpers, link pins, 1 shock absorber the wipes stopped working the second day I had it due to were the cable goes in at the top being lose and coming out I had checked all the safety items when I first realised that the whole car was half un bolted but must of missed the slave cylinder. George

Reply to
George Weatherley