rear axle cleaning..

It could be the axle has had Molyslip graphite additive added to the oil this was quite common practice in the 60s. If this is not the case I suspect the black colour is either from paint on the inside of the axle or an oil seal -- but if you want to flush it out auto tramsmisson fluid might be a better choice -- it has lots of detergent and has quite a lot of EP additive because it is designed as a gear lubricant

Reply to
Ernest Bilko

Hi,

On my piece of British automotive history, a P4 100 from '61 a rear axle of the Salisbury type is mounted. All standard.. The gear-oil I fill into that acle is yellowish out of the bottle.. After a short time in the axle, it is black. So I think many mall dimension wear-particles are present in the axle. I got the idea to use flushing oil to clean it out (I don't plan to dismantle it at this time, as this is a major job). I would put the car on axle stands at the rear and let the engine on in a gear to make the rear wheels rotate (without load) for some time. Then take the cleaning oil out and refilling with gear oil.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea? When bad: why??

tx, rob

Reply to
rill2

============== The 'Molyslip' answer seems the most likely. To be a bit economical you could use flushing oil and re-use it several times by filtering it. This might seem a bit fiddly but you'll probably need quite a few flushes to get rid of Molyslip or anything else that is there in sufficient quantity to discolour new oil almost immediately. This will also give you some idea of what's causing the discoloration. When you've got rid of most of the discoloration by repeated flushes do a final flush with clean flushing oil.

I think it would be wiser to just turn the axle by hand rather than under power or if under power only for a short time.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

## Is this the definitive answer of the group :-)) When "yes" I will try this the upcoming week.. Cleaning seems the only answer on the question "wear or Molyslip"..

tx, rob

Reply to
rill2