Rover

OLD ROVER

-----------

Now I've owned an old Rover for many a year And driven the roads without any fear The old firm has been passed from pillar to post And now they've decided to give up the ghost

Chorus: And its no more Rover, no nay never no more Cos the Chinese don't want it, so they're closin' the door.

I went to a garage I use to frequent And there I was told all the spares had been sent Out to the Owner Club's secret'ry There to be stored for an emergency

And its no more Rover ....

I now drive an Audi through country and town It's stylish and comfy and never breaks down Killed by old methods and bad management That's where the British car industry went ...

And its no more Rover ....

Poor Rover is dying and we're all to blame And the cars in the car park they all look the same The once great company has been brought to its knees Cos when we changed our cars we all bought Japanese

And its no more Rover ....

Rover is sharing British industries' fate Just like "Great Britain" it's no longer great Imported or out-sourced it's all in decline And finally Rover has also called "time"

And its no more Rover ....

British Leyland and Morris were names that I knew They've disappeared and now Rover will too Ashes to ashes and rust unto rust Just like our country it's turning to dust

Reply to
M Wrench

ROFLMAO! Sheer brilliance :-)

Keith Lawrence

In message , M Wrench writes

Reminds me of the pastiche...

I drove a Landrover for many a year And I spent all my money on petrol and gear. But now I'm returning with gold in great store and I'll drive a Landrover, no never no more

etc...

I went to a garage I used to frequent and I said to the owner, 'my chassis is bent'. I asked for a new one, he answered me nay saying 'cretins like you come in here every day'

(can't remember any more)

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Can we all have a go?

Comes a Rover, struggling struggling, trying hard to breast the rise. Sits the driver after guzzling, looking out with bleary eyes.

Comes a rattle then a knocking, motor dies with weary wheeze. Now he's out, now he's under. Water dripping on his knees.

Comes a copper searching searching, scrutinise from front to rear. Stands the driver, lurching lurching, trying not to smell of beer.

There's quite a bit more, but I wont bore you with the rest. Fact is I don't know if I can remember it all. It was a very early effort at humorous verse. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Except that it has little to do with *Rover* per se - you could substitute any two syllable car make for Rover* in the first line without any detriment to the sentiment.

  • e.g. Honda, Audi, Citroen, Renault, Vauxhall, Bentley, etc., etc.
Reply to
Set Square

Set Square ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Unless you're French, in which case it's three syllables.

Cee-troy-enn

Reply to
Adrian

If you translate the whole thing into French, you'll probably have to change a lot of other things to make it scan!

Reply to
Set Square

Agreed, but I thaught it quite appropriate for the urd n/g. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Also from my inbox, but less good:

FIRM CALLED ROVER

-------------------

They're doing over a firm called Rover That nearly closed down before Chinese won't buy it, Labour deny it New working methods? Staff wouldn't try it No use complaining, it's not remaining This time closing its doors. They're doing over a firm called Rover That nearly closed down before.

~Mike~

Reply to
M Wrench

Icedog continued.

They tell us they won't honour warranties new. If you buy a s**te MG you'll just have to stew. The same goes for Rovers, so if it breaks down Best buy new knickers 'cos yours will go brown

And its no more Rover....

R.I.P.

Reply to
icedog

As usual, some wanker blames the workforce. 'Nuff said.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, you probably know of the chap anyway, but I would recommend anyone interested in this sort of thing to put the name W. Edwards Deeming into Google and see what it comes up with.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" wrote in message news:d40kkv$tc$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Actually it works better if you spell his name right - only one 'e'

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Do you mean W. Edwards Deming?