Sacrilege - Rover P6 turbo diesel?

They're a bit new for me to know much about, but since the P6 was available with the V8, as was the SD1, and the SD1 was also available with the VM 2.4/2.5 diesel, is one of them a possibility?

Taking it on a stage, since 200 and 300tdi engines fit roughly the same size hole in Solihull's other products, you really could have a cracker of a car. And with a ZF auto box...

Reply to
Kevin Poole

I only know them from Land Rover circles where they're seen as a bit of a low point. Do they have a better reputation when fitted in cars? They were used in the 825 too weren't they? Hmm, could be a distinct posibility. Thanks.

Yes, someone locally suggested the 200tdi - with LT77 gearbox. A couple of years ago, their prices would have put them out of the running, but they do seem to have dropped a lot recently as more and more rusty Discos get scrapped. But what's the weight like? Is a 200tdi less of a lump than older Land Rover engines?

Dunno about that though..

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Thought that was the Perkins lump. Could be wrong, though..

The VM is still fitted in Jeeps, so parts should be OK.

Actually, the Perkins DI unit - as used in Montegos, Maestros etc - kight be a possibility, as (IIRC) it was also used in some #of the later Sherpa vans & so should be find-able with a 5-speed 'box for RWD.. Not a bad engine at all, albeit a bit agricultural compared with modern diesels.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

A web search suggests you are.

So if the weight and dimensions are right, it could be a definite possibility. Said web search brings up quite a few favourable comments too.

That's the Perkins Prima turbo. A friend fitted several to a Series 2 Landy, killing them off at an alarming rate.

Even non-running examples of the van versions used to be very sought after because their sumps were needed when fitting car versions to Land Rovers. Though I doubt if many people are doing that these days as

200tdi engines become more affordable.

It's been in the back of my mind as a possibility, but I doubt if they're as plentiful as they were. I can't even remember when I last saw a Montego. Maestros mostly (all?) had non-turbo versions.

BTW, I won't be doing this for a few months, so I have plenty of time to keep an eye out for parts. Everyone's replies so far have been extremely helpful, so thanks all!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Sir would be well advised to do both. You really need to end up with a top gear giving around 30mph/1000 rpm. I doubt if just a five speed box will do that for you and if you don't change the diff. you will find you never use first gear at all and second only for the occasional vertical cliff you may encounter in your travels.

Probably also a good idea to disregard any diesel that doesn't have an alloy block unless you are an rabid understeer aficionado

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R N Robinson

Now, I really like your thinking!

Reply to
Badger

Unless it wasn't, in which case I may have my wires crossed. I thought the early P100's had the peugeot (?) 2.3 lump, and the later ones the ford

1.8td??
Reply to
Badger

Coming soon: the Janglia: a Mk IX Jag with a 994 Anglia engine.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

I remember reading years ago of a city with a mayor's limousine fitted with a Morris Minor engine, because it always drove round urban streets and never went above 30mph, and a small engine was much more economical when stationary in traffic.

I wonder who bought it when it was replaced?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

But the Stag v8 was more aluminiumy, wasn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

Nope, rover V8 is all ally, Stag V8 is a cast iron block with ally heads.

Reply to
Badger

I think it's just a different generation of 1.8TD. Mine had an earlier engine than our W reg Mondeo 1.8TD. In fact the engine looked identical (apart from the turbo) to one from an ancient Fiesta a friend was breaking at the time. The Mondeo one is an Endura, so I guess the earlier ones were something else.

The Peugeot engine, on the other hand, would be a cracker (I had one in a Range Rover), but far too heavy.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (Willy Eckerslyke ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you're thinking PSA, how about a 1.9 Turbo XUD? Or the 2.1 12v from an XM/605? The XUD was used N-S in various 4x4s and Eastern European stuff.

Reply to
Adrian

The VM is nasty, head gasgets are service items.

Very, very heavy, in a P6 the sump would drag along the road !

My money would be on a Trooper TD, 2.3 engine an box,light, nice and small, lots of grunt and still going strong while the rest of the car has rotted around it. And with some work to the front you even have the option of 4WD.....

Reply to
Geoff

That would be a good idea. Used Xantias with TD motors in them are cheap and plentiful.

What was the power output of the 2000TC? Does a 1.9TD compare?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Indeed. Damned good engines too, I'm told. Where would I find a 5-speed RWD gearbox for one?

Around 110BHP, I believe. Or a fair bit less on this car after someone stuck a single carb on it. (I'd guess that was to avoid paying for a replacement exhaust manifold and downpipes, which are seriously expensive for the TC.)

Can't be _that_ different, can it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Nice to have that confirmed! Thanks.

Are you sure about it being light? I know where there is one that'll be available soon. A local fisherman buys cheap 4X4s for boat launching, with obvious consequences. I reckon he's had the Isuzu for at least a year, which is 6 months longer than they usually last.

Any more suggestions like that and I'll be seriously thinking about it!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

About 90bhp, ISTR.

Just find a crashed B5 shape Passat, with the longitudinal engine, buy a

1.8T bellhousing to fit a Ford gearbox and I suspect you'd be mostly there.
Reply to
SteveH

I didn't even realise they made such things.

Perfect. Thanks.

As I mentioned, it'll be a few months before I put this into action, so with any luck the bits will appear on eBay at the right price.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

IIRC they are all ally.

Have a look, take a tape measure and some scales ;-)

I aim too please, forgot the low range option as well.

Reply to
Geoff