About how much do full doors weigh

I have a 2003 TJ with full doors. I want to take them off my jeep but I am not sure what to expect or if I should be getting someone to help me. I am no weakling by any means but if I just want to know what to expect so I don;'t damage them. Any info woud be appreciated.

Beth

Reply to
jersygal

hi beth, each door is 49 pounds.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

My guesstimate is not more than fifty pounds each. Each door is about as heavy as one of those four foot folding tables from Office Depot. They are not real heavy but they are big and hard to get a hold of. I like to roll the window down, reach in from the outside through the window hole, and get a good grip on the arm rest door closer loop before trying to remove the door. The other hand goes on the bottom of the door. When you set the door down, put the rear corner down first so you don't squish the fingers on that hand (ouch!).

If this is the first time you have taken the door off the hinge pins tend to be tight and resist removal of the door. If this happens open and close the door several times while lifting on it. Make sure you don't lose your balance when the hinges eventually pop apart.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
jersygal

Reply to
Richard Curtis

Umm, just remove fuse #4 I think it is and no more door switches but the inside lights still work with the headlight switch.

And 'REALLY' watch your toes the first time, those suckers can come down fast once the pins pop!

Mike

Richard Curtis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

on my '03 the lights will go out after about 10 minutes even without pulling the fuse.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I got to doubting Nathan's 49lb door weight so I weighed my full hard doors on a scale. My stock 91YJ full doors with the little sport mirrors weigh in at 54lbs. Nathan was close--that extra 5lbs can hurt you. My method for removal is to roll the window down with the door open and lift it off from the inside side. One hand under the bottom of the door and one under the top of the window frame. Once you get it off, you can lower it down so you can get the other hand on the window frame. Watch your toes.

Now anyone want to guess what a 33X12.50 BFG AT/KO on a 10" chrome mod rim weighs?

Reply to
reconair

hi scott, either recalibrate your scale, or get the 5 pounds of mud off your door. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Bill? Oh wait its Earle. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

My wife was wondering why I had a Jeep door in the bathroom.

Scott

Reply to
reconair

tell her you needed something to read. ;-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

...you mean "crappy leaf springs vs. better coil springs", don't you? ;-) TJim

98 TJ SE with better coil springs 90 SJ GW with crappy leaf springs ;)

Reply to
TJim

LOL

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Nah, Bill's secret is to carry a couple spare leafs and always climb with a passenger or two. When it starts to bog down going up the hill, the passengers are instructed to grab the spare leafs and dig in and row the jeep to the top.

Approximately 8/19/03 11:16, twaldron uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

ROFLMAO!

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

ROFL! :D I was trying to think of a good snappy retort for Bill's post, but you beat me to it!

Reply to
TJim