Stomberg CD175-2 carbs - off what?

That is only true for the early MOD spec 110 V8's, and some very early

130's. When the name changed from 110 to defender, the restrictors were binned and SU's were fitted to all uk (inc. MOD spec) defender 110's. The same time as the quoted power output increased to 134bhp. Trust me, I've worked on a LOT of MOD V8 landrovers over the years ;-) Badger.
Reply to
Badger

I was referring in particular to the 101 v8 which was in production from 1973 to 1978, which used exculsivly Strombergs on the 3.5 v8.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Right. But that's not what I thought you meant, it sounded as if you were saying that the MOD spec'd Strombergs on all their v8 landrovers. FWIW, not many 101's had restrictors, in fact most were removed in service, if they were ever fitted at all. The restrictors were originally fitted by landrover to the 109 Stage 1 V8 as standard, as landrover felt the handling and braking with a trailer especially weren't up to the power of the engine. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Willy Eckerslyke saying something like:

The nice thing about Strombergs is they're light enough to punt a very great distance indeed.

Utter crap carbs.

SU's rule.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Most defenitly Triumph TR250 & TR6 US-specs. The showed linkage proves the origin, there is one just like it sitting in my garage. :-) Erik

Reply to
Erik Creyghton

Beg pardon, you're right that they didn't continue to spec the strombergs. Certainly the 101's had the restrictors removed, most while they were in service as the power output of the v8 was woeful with them fitted. It wasn't a great deal better without them.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

True, probably something to do with the woefully inadequate 8.13 compression ratio! Badger.

Reply to
Badger