Vauxhall nova original alloys?

Hi - wonder if anyone can help my 18year old son just bought an old nova as his first car as he wanted something cheap to insure etc... but now isurance comany is asking if the alloy wheels are original spec... otherwise its a mod and they won't insure. Last seller say they were on car when he bought it 2 years ago... car is a Jan 1993 nova 1.2 "merit plus"... alloys have vauxhall logo on them ... they are 14in (inside they have stamped "GM LD 51/2x1x14")...

local vauxhall garage says they don't have spec of Nova ... but say these same wheels were available on the corsa?

Can any say definitively? There's no point in paying exhorbitant insurance if they will later claim he's not insured?

...otherwise what to do? Stick car on ebay?

thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999

Get a set of original steel wheels from a scrappy?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Find another insurer. They don't affect the performance of the car, and it's unlikely that a nova is going to be worth more than his excess if he claims anyway.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

THe original alloys had 3 wide spokes, possibly with grooves machined into them.

Reply to
Conor

That was only on the GTE/SRs though wasn't it? There was also some cross spoke BBS style alloys that came on the less sporty spec'd later cars.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

When I queried this on behalf of a young driver a while back, the insurer told me that it was for two reasons.

1) A car with non-standard alloys is statistically much more likely to be stolen just for the wheels. 2) In an accident where a wheel hits the kerb, there is much more likely to be significant suspension damage.

Even though I pointed out that (2) didn't really apply to TPF&T insurance, they still wanted to load the insurance significantly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nope. My first car a nova diamond 1.2 had them on as standard, but a merit is very unlikely to have had them. They have 9 spokes but they're grouped in 3's. Here's a set on ebay

-- James

Reply to
James Grabowski

Cheap to insure. Quick to break.

False economy in this instance. It's always good to get an input into a young person's decision upon a first car, as they inevitably look at the purchase from the wrong angle. Ie: "it looks okay, i'll take it."

Reply to
gm

tell them yes if they have a vauxhall logo, if you can't find out if they was or not original i doubt they will. my alloys have a BM logo on them and they're actually for an E46 BM but i said to my insurance company as far as i know there original.

my insurance company wanted to know what options my car had to! i said it's a ten year old BM i was at school when it was new so how would i know! do car thieves go for climate control or something these days? they must be getting picky!

Reply to
Vamp

1.7 million miles and you come up with that classic.
Reply to
DervMan

These are 3 sets of double spokes ... 14in GM alloys (GM LD) with

185/60 r14 tyres ... Tyres are almost brand new (new with last mot) ... part of reason my son bought.... I think car was among last of Novas (1993 merit plus) so I was hoping that they vauxhall might have been putting them on as standard to shift the last of the range... .=2E.insurer say I have to show that else no deal ... but if noone can say definitively? Come to that ... even If I was to change then for steel ones from a scrappy (say =A3100 with 2nd hand tyres) ... how would I know the size of the orifinal spec?
Reply to
nospammer999

Yes - and Vauxhall also put alloys on run out cars, I seem to recall that the Merit Plus had alloys.

Reply to
DervMan

They should be able to tell you if the car has alloys.

Can you host some pictures for us to see?

As I recall the Merit Plus _did_ have alloys as standard, it was a run out model whilst the Coarsa (sic) was being introduced.

Point of the matter is, though, the insurance company are being fussy but they will wriggle out of a claim if possible.

Reply to
DervMan

agreed i'd try another. shop about or even try a local broker as they can get some good quotes for young drivers!

Reply to
Vamp

Aargh ... just looked at the spare in the boot... its a steel 145 R13... Assuming the spare is an original ... it looks like the 14" alloys are a mod... Son is gutted ... So it looks like either getting a set of 13" wheels from the scrappy (with dubious tyres?) or selling car on? I don't suppose 14" GM logo's alloys with good tryres are worth much?

thanks

Reply to
nospammer999

Aargh ... just looked at the spare in the boot... its a steel 145 R13... Assuming the spare is an original ... it looks like the 14" alloys are a mod... Son is gutted ... So it looks like either getting a set of 13" wheels from the scrappy (with dubious tyres?) or selling car on? I don't suppose 14" GM logo's alloys with good tryres are worth much?

-* * * * *-

Not always! Some cars have four alloys and a skinny steel spare.

Reply to
DervMan

Insurance companies are great until you need to claim, then the fussier ones can become hard work.

Reply to
DervMan

It's possible that they just used a standard spare on late models rather than an alloy but my nova had an alloy spare. They're worth very little now.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Aargh ... just looked at the spare in the boot... its a steel 145 R13... Assuming the spare is an original ... it looks like the 14" alloys are a mod... Son is gutted ... So it looks like either getting a set of 13" wheels from the scrappy (with dubious tyres?) or selling car on? I don't suppose 14" GM logo's alloys with good tryres are worth much?

thanks

****************************

Our Nova Merit TD has 165/70 R13 tyres (I think) - maybe that spare is a skinny one?

I'd try another insurance company. The companies I'm with dont care much about alloys, they only put the premium up by about a tenner. Yours sound a bit anal TBH!

If you don't want to do that check out

as sets of steel wheels often come up on there very cheap. Or register and put up a wanted ad.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They look just like these .... (I'm getting less hopeful that they were Nova merit plus originals)

thanks

Reply to
nospammer999