C3 seat questions for the group

Hi

I'm looking to purchase both seats for my '74. When I bought the car it had some aftermarket seats in it (anyone interested in these?). I would like to get back close to the originals. I have a few questions for anyone who might care to answer. Provided I have the right mounting hardware what years would work for me (68-82 maybe)? It appears that the later years fold over at a different point. If any seat from this era would work are the later years better? Where would be a good place to find a pair, I live near Los Angeles.? I see that there is a corvette swap meet in Pamona 14 Oct., are these worth attending? Are there any corvette salvage yards in and around LA?

Thanks for any help, Carson

Reply to
mcwhorter1

Its unlikely youll find any original seats in good condition at swap meets . If youre planning on keeping your '74, id consider new reproduction seats assuming your vette hasnt been maintained as all-original. As for what year seats would fit, id examine a few Suppliers catalogues like Mid-America and Ecklers. Good luck, Dave.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Carson

As far as the frame for seat, for the bottom, i think 70-73 will also fit in a 74, for the back, i think 75-77 will also fit in a 74. Nothing in 78-82 would fit, nor earlier than 70. Swap meets are generally OK and you can get some deals, but you need to know if parts will fit. Sometimes, the "vendors" are just emptying out the junk bin and don't know what fits what either. Just google on corvette salvage yards and i'm sure you will find some in socal. Call a local corvette club and they will tell you where the junk yards are. Rick

Reply to
Rick

By all means, go to the swap meet at Pomona, you will be glad you did. Dave is living in the shadow of Bloomington Gold, which has become a great disappointment as far as the swap meet is concerned since it moved to the golf course in St. Charles (Chicago), IL. When it was still the blue jeans and t-shirt set in the farmlands of Illinois, there were huge swap meets. But the golf set, high auction dollars, and eBay have had a terrible effect on the swap meet that was called the granddaddy of Corvette swap meets.

Check eBay for seats. Even if you don't find what you want, then you get an idea of prices. After all, you don't need a set with new red covers if you have a black interior. I can't remember when they switched the mounting tracks. there are subtle changes throughout as to the release lever and all, but the actual mounting I think only changed once, either '75 or '76, when they went from two holes in back to one hole. You can always change tracks, and you may already have your tracks that the existing seats are on.

Here are a few links.

1974 seats --

Tom in Missouri