Flaky power window

I have a 2000 Corvette in which the driver side window has been working on and off again. Last fall it quit working, then started working again before I put it up for the winter, then when I got it out last week, it was still working properly. Now it's not working again. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Reply to
Troy

could it be the switch? i have one in my 94 that the switch sometimes works/sometimes doesn't.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

It could be the switch. I hear a clicking sound though when I press it, as if a relay was firing or something like that. Is there anyway to try and fix this myself? I had the passenger side power window replaced already and that set me back $500, so if I can do it myself that would be excellent.

Thanks!

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I've had (still have this issue). When the window isn't working, the lights in the power window switch aren't on either. I've been able to trace it to the harness in the door. Pushing on the rubber boot (the one that covers the wires coming from the car and into the door) seems to relieve the symptoms. I've taken the door and bottom of the dash apart to find an exposed wire. Taped it and it seemed to work fine for a while. Now it's back. Seems like it does this more when the weather changes. I bought a used harness off of ebay and will be replacing it soon. First I have to get the steering column unlocked though. It got me last night. Vette is stuck at the bar-- wife is P.O.'ed at home.. ended up having more than just one beer. Good excuse as any I guess..

Also, when this conditions occurs, it would light up every message on the DIC. Be carefull so you dont get stuck with this far from home. I'm not

100% sure but I think it would shut the car down when it got real bad. The bad part of the wire was actuallly inside the car---not inside the door(to save you from maybe taking the door apart). It's a clear "tube" with a wire in it. It goes into a harness under the dash. At the end of it, had about 1/4 inch of exposed wire. At the time, I made the assumption that the exposed part of the wire would short under the dash. The dealer didn't want to deal with this since it didn't happen all of the time. On the other hand, hopefully, they'll be able to duplicate the locked steering column condition....maybe they'll lend me a C6 while they have my C5.

-Stan

2000 Coupe 1999 Vert

Reply to
sbright

Try slamming the door, or slamming the door while holding the window button (from the inside ). Seems to be a common problem which sometimes this fix will work, sometimes a power window motor needs replaced. Know idea if this is the case on your car, just one that has worked for others.

Reply to
SkyhawkXP

Reply to
Rod Flannery

I know this sounds crazy, BUT it seems like the problem comes back (in your case) when the car gets hot. I never really paid too much attention to the temp., but I did notice it happening in the spring and fall when there could be 20-30 degree temp. swing from day to night time. I really think its a short in one of the wires. Like I said before, the door harness is where I found an exposed wire. It was in a clear tube and attached to the harness on the inside of the car. (dont take door apart) I wish I could describe it better..but I think you get the idea. This is a 3 cent repair job. Although, if you take it somewhere they may replace the entire electrical system before they find this by accident. Who would think this sort of thing could be caused by a door harness??

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

Yeah, thank you guys for all your input! This weekend I'll take the multimeter to those wires and see if I can find out if there is a short or not. What a freaking pain. Last time I took my car in for the passenger window. Now the window rattles when I go over a medium sized bump. And whistles when the air conditioner is turned up high. Anyone know if I can fix something like that myself? I know it didn't do that before I took it in.

Thanks again for your help!

Reply to
Troy

They're not that hard to adjust. The C5 rear tip in adjusters for the windows are located right behind the red reflectors on the door panels. You DO NOT have to remove the door panel to get to it. The reflector is held in by two tabs at the top and a spring steel clip at the bottom. Pry up from the bottom carefully to remove it and gain access to the rear tip-in adjustment screw. Back off the lock nut (10 mm) and turn adjusting threaded rod (4 mm hex head) ccw to increase tip-in, cw to decrease. No need to hold the 18mm window regulator pulley inside the door. The rubber grommet under the door at the rear gives access to the aforementioned 18mm, and a height adjuster (with the window rolled down). Front tip-in and height adjustment is under the rubber grommet at the front. Similar to the rear, but entire assembly slides transversely with the body of the car, you'll see the slot and see what I am trying to say.

Reply to
Dad

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to repair mine. My doors sound like an old Camaro when I close them. I think I'm narrowing it down to the door panels being loose. I've replaced the plastic pins on the panel side, but I think I need to replace the female sides also.. Any ideas??

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

"Troy" wrote: > I have a 2000 Corvette in which the driver side window has > been working > on and off again. Last fall it quit working, then started > working > again before I put it up for the winter, then when I got it > out last > week, it was still working properly. Now it's not working > again. Has > anyone else had similar problems?

Same problem on my 99 convertible. About 1 year ago the drivers window quit. It never started back by itself but I figured it may be a "dead spot" of something similar. I let me mechanic take it for some routine stuff and he told me he just popped off the door trim, removed the Bose speaker box and gave the motor a pop with the hammer. Worked fine for almost a year. So this year I took it off my self, plugged the switch back in, pushed the button and popped the motor with the hammer pretty lightly actually and there it goes working fine again.

I have heard a lot about this problem. Seems like there is definitely a fault with this motor and maybe GM should look into recall instead of running bulletins that say, replace the motor for $500.00 some dollars.

Hope this saves you and others a lot of bucks.

Reply to
ghfun

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
It might just be a "sweet spot" in the gear. I've had the same problem with both my '77 Corvette and my 1985 Bronco. A tap with the hammer usually buys me anywhere from one to two years with each of them. Weird.

Reply to
BDragon